Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Welcome to the Lenovo Community

Welcome to the Forums!

Welcome to Lenovo's Peer-to-Peer Discussion Community!
Please note our guidelines. How to register and login and Community FAQs.
Shape the Future of PCs

Help Lenovo Shape the Future of PCs

Take the ownership survey. Share your ideas with our product team
Community Spotlight

Visit the Lenovo Blogs!

Check out the ThinkPad Time Machine
Visit the Community Spotlight Blog
Windows  10

Are you ready for Windows 10?

Get to know Windows 10
Visit the Windows 10 Support Center
Paper Tape
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit to 32 bit

I have windows 7 home premium 64 bit version on my Lenovo y560 laptop with two drives "C"(420 GB) and "D"(30 GB).

There is a recovery option that comes along with the laptop to recover windows 7 64 bit version if anything gets corrupted in the OS. I want to install Windows 7 32 bit version but I have the below questions

1. If I go with fresh installation of windows 7 32 bit by removing windows 7 64 bit version, will recovery of windows 7 64 bit version work as usual and can I recover to windows 7 64 bit once I am done with windows 7 32 bit.

2. If I go with dual boot what will happen to recovery, will recovery contain windows 7 64 bit.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Not worried about any data.

Community Moderator
0 Kudos

Re: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit to 32 bit

[ Edited ]

Hello and welcome,

First, use the recovery program to burn a set of recovery media.  Then it won't matter what happens to the recovery partition.

There's a fair likelyhood that any install - dual boot, overwriting C:, anything that touches the MBR or (unintentionally) the recovery partition will make it unusable, even if it is still on your drive.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Paper Tape
0 Kudos

Thanks for the info.

Could you please let me know how to  use the recovery program to burn a set of recovery media.

Also, for the dual boot can I install 32 bit on the same drive without partitioning.

Community Moderator
0 Kudos

Here's a KB article that covers using OKR to create recovery media: How to create "Factory Default Recovery Disc" with OneKey Recovery

I've always used separate partitions for multi-boot setups.  Here's something I Googled up that might apply.  It's written about WIn 7 and 8, but might work for 7 & 7.  I haven't tried it. How to Dual Boot Windows 7 and 8 Without Re-Partitioning (Using VHD)

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество