cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
yohy
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,491
Message 1 of 18

Windows Recovery: Backup created and recovery drive boots but can't find system image (Y50)

So as soon as I got my brand new Y50-70, and before doing anything on this laptop (not even installing new software), I went tried OneKey Recovery only to discover that it is broken.

I then tried my luck with Windows Recovery (the one provided with every Windows 8.1 copy, not unique to Lenovo):

I first went through system image creation on a recovery drive (1TB WD Elements USB HDD):

1. Find it on Control Panel:

ss-01-winrecovery-cp-option.PNG

2: Select it (Recovery option):

ss-02-winrecovery-create-drive.PNG

3. Create a recovery drive:

ss-03-winrecovery-copy-recovery-partition-to-drive.PNG

4.  Selected the F: drive (1TB, it's not a *flash* drive just an ordinary USB hdd, does it matter?):

ss-05-winrecovery-selecting-1TB-hdd-as-F-drive.PNG

5. Got a nice warning (indeed, this process reformatted the drive, to 32GB only, why 32GB and not the full 1TB?)

ss-06-winrecovery-anything-will-be-deleted-warning.PNG

Now... let's see if I can restore from this newly created system image:

1. Rebooted from the newly created Recovery Drive (it actually boots!):

IMG_20141220_175343-choose-an-option.jpg

2. Selected "Use a device", then received this menu:

IMG_20141220_175413-use-a-device.jpg

3. I selected EFI USB Device. It then went to an intermediate Lenovo boot splash:

IMG_20141220_175429-efi-usb-selected-lenovo-screen.jpg

4. And shortly after that (without me doing anything) a new prompt, to choose a language:

IMG_20141220_175500-choose-a-language.jpg

5. I selected English and then, got prompted for keyboard layout:

IMG_20141220_175505-choose-kb-layout++.jpg

6. The system then system to restart again from the Recovery Drive, only to prompt me again with the "Choose an Option" screen (as in step #1). So, I selected "Troubleshoot" this time:

IMG_20141220_175525-troubleshoot.jpg

7. I then selected "Advanced options", and received this screen:

IMG_20141220_175541-advanced-options-sys-img-recovery-select.jpg

8. I then selected System Image Recoery and received this screen:

IMG_20141220_175549-sys-img-recovery-selected.jpg

9. I selected the only option available (Windows 8.1), then got this "Cannot find system image":

IMG_20141220_175600-windows-cannot-find-sys-img.jpg

10. Why??? I clicked cancel and I was prompted to select an image:

IMG_20141220_175607-prompt-2-select-sys-img.jpg

11. So I clicked Next, but got nothing to select:

IMG_20141220_175613-nothing-found-re-image-your-comp.jpg

12. Clicking the Advanced button only provides irrelevant options:

IMG_20141220_175631-irrelevant-advanced-options.jpg

I am stuck. What do I do now?

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,483
Message 2 of 18

Re: Windows Recovery: Backup created and recovery drive boots but can't find system image (Y50)

The reason that the Windows recovery program could not find a backup image is that you did not make one. What you have made is a recovery drive. What you should do is click "System Image Backup" located at the bottom left portion of the File History menu.

yohy
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,458
Message 3 of 18

Re: Windows Recovery: Backup created and recovery drive boots but can't find system image (Y50)

@LenBlazer wrote:

The reason that the Windows recovery program could not find a backup image is that you did not make one. What you have made is a recovery drive. What you should do is click "System Image Backup" located at the bottom left portion of the File History menu.

Thank you Len. What/Where is the "File History menu"? Can you post a screenshot? or breadcrumbs of how to get there? Thanks.

UPDATE: Found it! To get to it, type "File" in the "Search Control Panel" box at the upper-right corner of Control Panel. That will get you to "File History". Then, at the bottom-left corner, you will find "System Image Backup". Click it and it will present a dialog box asking you where to save the system image.

Interestingly, if you want to save it on a hard disk, it must be NTFS, not FAT32, although when it creates a recovery drive, it formats it to FAT32.

My solution was to format the unallocated space in that 1TB USB HDD to NTFS and used it for the "System Image Backup", which creates a folder named WindowsImageBackup.

So now, I have 2 drive letters for my 1TB USB HDD: One for the 16GB recovery drive, one for the 915GB NTFS partition containing the "System Image Backup".

yohy
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,813
Message 4 of 18

@LenBlazer wrote:

@LenBlazer thanks again - and a related question: When I create a recovery drive, there is a checkbox offering to "copy the recovery partition" to this newly created recovery drive. However, when I boot from that recovery drive, it cannot find (and thus cannot use) that "recovery partition copy". It can only find the WindowsImageBackup that I create separatly.

My question: What is the purpose of copying that recovery partition to the recovery drive, then? That is, how can that copy be used?

To clarify my question: If I look at that newly created recovery drive, I can see a \sources\LENOVO directory. Looking at the scripts and some of the filenames (having .okr extension), it looks like they can be used by OKR. But...

1. I tried using it via OKR, but OKR insists on selecting a file named backup.wsi, which is nowhere to be found in this recovery drive.
  2. Why would Windows Recovery create an OKR backup? These are two different programs working with different formats and specifications of backup sets. I am confused.

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,801
Message 5 of 18

The OKR program uses its own recovery image and when started will look for the first image file backup.wsi. This file is not the image file needed by the Windows Recovery Disk. What the Windows Recovery disk need is another image which is pointed to by the Recovery Partition. Here is a link that somewhat explains the Windows Recovery Disk in particular the option to copy the recovery partition.

yohy
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,787
Message 6 of 18

@LenBlazer wrote:

Here is a link that somewhat explains the Windows Recovery Disk in particular the option to copy the recovery partition.

Wow. This is a great resource. Thank you.

I don't have a problem copying the recovery partition, however. My problem is that I don't know what to do with that copy. Smiley Surprised

• I can't use it with the recovery disk.
  • I can't use it with OKR

In other words, it's great that I have a copy of the recovery partition on the recovery disk, but how do I use it?

yohy
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,784
Message 7 of 18

@yohy wrote:

In other words, it's great that I have a copy of the recovery partition on the recovery disk, but how do I use it?

OK, I think I found the answer to the mystery. It is to be used with the "Reset your PC" option in the "Troubleshoot" menu.

That is the only option I am not going to experiment with unless/until my HDD dies copletely...

I am happy now. Smiley Happy

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,762
Message 8 of 18

@yohy wrote:

@yohy wrote:

OK, I think I found the answer to the mystery. It is to be used with the "Reset your PC" option in the "Troubleshoot" menu.

That is the only option I am not going to experiment with unless/until my HDD dies copletely...

Before disaster occurs better make a recovery disk with the Recovery Partition copied for a worst case scenario that you need to initiate a Reset. Without copying the recovery partition you can't do the Reset.

Also in case your hdd dies, you can't use the Recovery Disk to install a new copy of the OS in a new hdd. But OKR can. This is one main difference between the two.

yohy
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,748
Message 9 of 18

@LenBlazer wrote:

Before disaster occurs better make a recovery disk with the Recovery Partition copied

Done.

@LenBlazer wrote:

Also in case your hdd dies, you can't use the Recovery Disk to install a new copy of the OS in a new hdd.

Which HDD dies? The internal or the external?

If the internal HDD dies, OKR dies with it... (including the hidden recovery partition). But I will be able to boot from the recovery USB disk, to use Windows Recovery and/or "Restore your PC".

If the external HDD dies, then at least I have OKR built-in (in the internal HDD).

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,707
Message 10 of 18

Which HDD dies? The internal or the external?

Answer: Internal. So you will install a new one. You can't use the Windows Recovery disk to installthe OS.

If the internal HDD dies, OKR dies with it... (including the hidden recovery partition). But I will be able to boot from the recovery USB disk, to use Windows Recovery and/or "Restore your PC".

Comment: Yes the OKR dies with it. But if you have the OKR Recovery disc sets you can use it to put in the OS into the new hdd. You can't use the Windows Recovery Disk that you made earlier.

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors