Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BeckW
Paper Tape
Views: 5,196
Message 1 of 19

Wireless-N Not Working

Hello, I'm having trouble with my wireless connectivity. I have a Y-560 that I bought about three months ago.

I just got a new Wireless-N capable router, and when I set it up to only transmit in N-mode, my wireless no longer works. In mixed mode (B/G/N) or even N/G mixed, it works. My roommate's Macbook works when it transmits only in Wireless-N, so I can therefore conclude the problem is on my end!

When I go to the device manager and click on the WIFI Link 1000 BGN, I see properties like 802.11n Channel Width for Band 2.4 and 802.11n Mode. I can switch n Mode to "Enabled" but I see at the bottom a property called Wireless Mode and the only options are: B, G, and B and G. No N!

How do I enable Wireless-N on my laptop? Thank you in advance for any help!

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 5,166
Message 2 of 19

Re: Wireless-N Not Working

Wireless N is a picky format. If you don't mind me asking, what are you looking for with the Wireless N speeds? Because you are already getting the broadcast range, even on G.

If you want to get those speeds higher than 54Mbps, then post your router model, and I'll see if I can dig up anything for you. For my Linksys WRT160N, I had to enable QoS of all things >.>. Now, my connection is a minimum of 130Mbps.

←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗
Tap that kudos button if I helped ^^
BeckW
Paper Tape
Views: 5,133
Message 3 of 19

I have the exact same router, Linksys WRT160N (refurbished). But I installed dd-wrt firmware onto it.

I'll give enabling QoS a try... even though I don't even know what that is!

And yeah, I'm hoping that by enabling N I'll get faster speeds. I'm sitting right next to the router so the range isn't a problem.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 5,122
Message 4 of 19

QoS stands for Quality of Service. I dunno why, but enabling it made the frequency jump from 54mbps to 130mbps.

BeckW
Paper Tape
Views: 5,093
Message 5 of 19

Ok, yeah I see that option to turn it on but it did nothing (noticeable) for my wireless N.

The funny thing is that if I mouse over my wireless connection it gives some info and it says Radio Type: 802.11n

But I know it's lying because if I switch the router to broadcast only in N then my internet stops working. Smiley Sad

Also when I right-click it and go to Status it still says my speed is 54.0 Mbps.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 5,089
Message 6 of 19

Here's some insight to get that full Wireless N 300mbit speed:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-basics/30664-5-ways-to-fix-slow-80211n-speed

To summarize:

1) Change security to WPA2/AES

2) Force the band to be 20MHz only

Combined with the QoS feature, you should be getting 65mbit or 130mbit all the time. Let me know if it works out.

BeckW
Paper Tape
Views: 5,076
Message 7 of 19

Hey! It worked! Switching the "security algorithm" to AES did the trick! Now when I switch the router to broadcast N-only I stay connected. I've left QoS on this whole time so I'm not sure if that made a difference.

Thanks a lot for your help!

nibensingh
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 4,870
Message 8 of 19

Hello -

I just got Y560 myself and found myself in the same problem. My laptop cannot connect to wireless network when my router has "N Only" enabled, but my macbook connects to it flawlessly. I tried all the options in this thread but still no luck. I can see my SSID but when I try to connect it would not just do it.

My router is WRT310Nv1. I dont also see QoS option in it.

I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,

Niben

Highlighted
Kadman
Punch Card
Views: 4,854
Message 9 of 19

@Niben,

Hiave you tried setting security to WPA2 Personal?  This seems to be a common issue across N draft standard implementations.  I run DD-WRT for replacement firmware on my Linksys E3000 routers and this was covered broadly across many router/network card configs.  WPA2 Personal seems to be the "secret sauce" to getting some devices to see N only routers.

Good luck!

**Edit to add that in order to test this properly you must change security to WPA2 Personal on the router first, and then on the devices that connect to it.  Sorry if this insults your networking intelligence but I'm just not sure what your skill level is in this area.  Just wanting to clarify and it may help others.  **

nibensingh
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 4,822
Message 10 of 19

Thank you Kadman! Yes, I already have WPA2 Personal as my Wireless Security Mode with AES encryption. Key renewal is set to 3600 seconds.

Any other things I can look around?

Niben

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors