Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
harrisonschaw
What's DOS?
Views: 5,466
Message 1 of 4

Wireless connection only works when plugged in

I am trying to troubleshoot an issue on my Mom's computer.  It seems that the wireless connection only works when the machine is plugged in.  It will connect to the Netgear router fine but we it won't get an IP address or connect to the Internet at all.  As soon as we plug it in it's fine. 

walt
Paper Tape
Views: 5,401
Message 2 of 4

Re: Wireless connection only works when plugged in

Hi, I just got my y510 a little more than a week ago and had the same issue but was able to solve it, so I figured I'd tell you what I did so it hopefully helps you too.

My laptop is usually set for power saver so the wireless card is set on the maximum power saving setting when unplugged, but for the maximum performance when plugged in. I just went into the power options menu (either in the control panel or through the icon in the system tray) clicked "change plan settings" next to my current power scheme, clicked "Change advanced power settings" then went into the wireless adapter menu and the power saver menu, and set the on battery mode to "medium power saving". You might need to set it to a different setting, but that one worked for me.

Hope that helped.

PetroCliff
Paper Tape
Views: 3,889
Message 3 of 4

Thanks, that helped me.
It already had "medium power savings" set for "On battery" mode and probably 30%-50% of packages were lost. After setting it to "maximum performance", I haven't seen any losses.
sateeshsat
Paper Tape
Views: 3,624
Message 4 of 4

same problem for me , but i have tried but its not working please help me

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors