Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PIIIITA
Paper Tape
Views: 1,408
Message 1 of 7

Y 580 with external monitor / refresh rate

Hello guys, i have ideapad Y580 with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M & intel HD graphics 4000.

My external monitor samsung RZ 2233 is connected by hdmi cable and i cant get more than 60HZ refresh rate on it, altough this monitor can get to 120HZ, i need to set up at least 100HZ. I am using windows 8.. could anyone help me please?? 

Xxiv
Punch Card
Views: 1,387
Message 2 of 7

Re: Y 580 with external monitor / refresh rate

Go to the nVidia control panel, hit change resolution on the left side, hit create custom resolution, select resolution and refresh rate

PIIIITA
Paper Tape
Views: 1,371
Message 3 of 7

I  miss this option there. 

screenshot: 

Link to picture

Moderator note; picture(s) totalling >50K converted to link(s) Forum Rules

Xxiv
Punch Card
Views: 1,359
Message 4 of 7

Hmm... do you have the latest version of nVidia control panel? It looks like you are missing a number of options in there

PIIIITA
Paper Tape
Views: 1,345
Message 5 of 7

Yes, i updated it several times. Is it possible to have set intel hd graphics as a default and I have to switch to nvidia?

reagannism
Serial Port
Views: 1,281
Message 6 of 7

Hey, a Y580 user too here. I'm planning to buy an external monitor for my notebook also

But I saw some people in this forum having problems using external monitor with this notebook. Like it becomes slower or the image quality is simply worse on the external monitor. It really bothers me, especially I want to play games on it which is the heaviest task of all.

And some people (including one of my friends) said sometimes the HDMI-Out port of notebooks are intentionally connected / soldered only with the integrated graphics (Intel HD 4000, in our case) which is much worse than our dedicated graphics (GTX 660M) and if this is true my 200$ will fly away, rendering my external monitor useless, only for working and watching movies..

So, do you play games on your external monitor ?

I will really appreciate if you answer. You know, not everyone owns Y580 and not everyone owns external monitor for it. It's hard to find one, contact them just to ask them the truth

PIIIITA
Paper Tape
Views: 1,254
Message 7 of 7

I heard that problem is nvidia 660 is installed on SSD disc, but dont know if it is true.... Really dont know much about computers... :/ But yeah, i played battlefield 3 and counter strikej 1.6 on it. Thats what i needed it for - cs 1.6 lan, but we won it anyway with 60hz, so Smiley Very Happy... I am sorry, but dont know more, than you should try to reinstall it on classic disc, not SSD

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors