Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mgkuzyk
Paper Tape
Views: 1,166
Message 1 of 2

Y40-70 battery will not charge - plugged in not charging

I have two Lenovo Y40-70 computers that I purchased within a couple weeks of each other.  They came with Windows 8.1 but I upgraded to Windows 10.

A few months ago, I noticed that my computer battery meter was reading 100% for an hour.  I continued to work unplugged until the battery died while still reading 100%.  I recharged and the battery again read 100% for more than a couple hours, then died.  So the battery lifetime is as good as always, but the reading is not right.  When I reboot, it still reads 100%.

Strangely, the second system, whcih I had not used for a while, was OK, but a few days later, it started doing the same thing (though it was reading 87%, the charge when the computer last worked right.  I suscpect that this happened after a critical update, which the second system went through later.

Recently, I downloaded from the Lenovo website the newer power management software on both computers, and it did not help.

Then I noticed the Battery recall so downloaded the "Lenovo Battery Utility 2015" to see if my system was afffected by the problem.  When I run the utility, I get the mssage "No Battery Detect."  So it would appear that there may be an issue with the software detecting the batter.

Since I can't know the state of the battery (it appears to not want to recharge until it's empty, I gues because it thinks it's 100% charged), I cannot count on this computer when it's not plugged in.

Now I am in a bind.  I bought two comptures so that I would have one as a backup, am leaving for a business trip in a week where I need to give a talk at a conference, so need to approach the podium with the system unplugged, and I have no working computer that I can count on.

I would buy a battery with expedited shipping if I thought this would work, but I beleive it may be an issue with the OS.  What should I do?  I have two top-of-the-line systems (500GB SSD, 16GB ram) for whcih I paid a pretty penny, and now I might have to make a quick laptop purchase for this important trip.  Not the stress I need at this tiem.

Is there a untility that I can run to isolate the problem?

Help!!!

Former Employee
Views: 963
Message 2 of 2

Re: Y40-70 battery will not charge - plugged in not charging

In response to customer reports of unexpected battery gauge behavior on Y40-70 and Y40-80 laptops, Lenovo determined the battery gauge software is performing as expected. The unusual gauge results being reported are a reflection of the battery reaching end of life.

Lenovo has released a Service TIP to assist customers with obtaining battery replacements under warranty, or if out of warranty, to find a replacement battery from Lenovo-approved vendors. The Service TIP can be found here: https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/sf16-I0023

The part numbers for Y40-70/80 batteries are:

Y40 SP/A L13M4P01 7.4V48Wh 4cell bty (Y40-70/Y40-80) 121500248

Y40 LG L13L4P01 7.4V48Wh 4cell bty (Y40-70/Y40-80) 121500249 substitute part 121500251

Y40 CP/C L13C4P01 7.4V48Wh 4cell bty (Y40-70/Y40-80) 121500259 substitute part 121500251

To determine which battery came with your Y40 notebook, instructions for removing the bottom cover can be found in the Hardware Maintenance Manual pdf here. An alternative to opening your system (which does not void warranty) is to search for batteries using the model/product number located on the bottom cover.

Thank you,

Top Kudoed Authors