Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BigAl1987
Paper Tape
Views: 786
Message 1 of 3

Y40-80 - Warranty repair for broken hinge

Hi,

Just wanted to determine my risk....  So I bought a Y40-80 laptop for my wife a little less than a year ago, and just from normal opening and closing, the left hinge has failed and eventually cause the cover to separate from the lcd.  I'm holding it in place using a big metal clip at the moment.   

As far as I am concerned, this was the result of a manufacturing defect; I have owned many laptops over the years and have never had a hinge failure like this, let alone have it happen in less than a year.  It was not dropped, or abused in any way.  Looking on line I see a lot of complaints about this, e.g., on Y50 but not my specific model.

Anyway, when I chatted online with Lenovo support, after I sent them a picture, the guy warned me that it may not be covered under warranty since it is "physical damage"; I never knew that this sort of cop out language existed with respect to warranties on computers.  Accidental damage I agree, but this is clearly a defect in the product.

They sent me a box to mail it to the depot, and I just wanted to find out what would happen if they refused to fix it under warranty.  There is no way I am paying to fix this problem, but I'm concerned that they will hold my machine hostage if we reach an impasse.  

Will Lenovo demand money from me to send the machine back?  If so, any idea what it will be?  I'm just trying to determine how much risk I'm willling to take.  

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Moderator comment: Model added to subject for clarity.

pastafarian
Token Ring
Views: 738
Message 2 of 3

Re: Y40-80 - Warranty repair for broken hinge

A little cart before horse here?  I think you're working yourself up about this when it probably isn't necessary.   They have to cover their asses and from a pic there's probably no way to tell if you sat on the thing when it was open.  If it's a design flaw (and I'm pretty positive it is), the tech will know it and your laptop will either be repaired or replaced.  I have many issues with Lenovo quality, but for a large corporation, their support has been alright.   Stop thinking about the laptop and it'll be back before you know it, keep obsessing on it like a pot of water that won't boil and it will feel like forever.  Good luck!

BigAl1987
Paper Tape
Views: 723
Message 3 of 3

Re: Y40-80 - Warranty repair for broken hinge

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.  I just wanted to find out if they would charge me for shipping the machine back if this cannot be resolved to my satisfaction....

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors