Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wilsonlee
What's DOS?
Views: 1,205
Message 1 of 13

Y40-80 audio jack not working with headset with mic

I just upgraded my Y40-80 with Windows 10.  Initially, when I plugged my earbuds w/mic into the audio jack, it works.  However, that stopped to work for no reason.  When I use my normal earbuds without mic, the audio jack works.  

Now, the only thing I could think of is Google Chrome prompted a message telling me to upgrade to a new version.  After the upgrade, the audio jack failed to work with earbuds w/ mic.  I'm not sure if that's the culprit.

I downloaded the lastest audio driver from Lenovo and still doesn't work.

Any thoughts?  Thanks.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 1,184
Message 2 of 13

Re: Y40-80 audio jack not working with headset with mic

Hi Wilsonlee,

Welcome to the Forums  

As per the query we understood that you are facing issue with audio jack in your Lenovo Y40-80 laptop.

Try to reinstall the operating system once and check for the issue, please take a data backup before reinstalling the operating system.

Best regards,         

Ashwin.S

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

wilsonlee
What's DOS?
Views: 1,172
Message 3 of 13

thanks for this.

per tech support at lenovo, i did roll back to win 8 and that didn't resolve the issue.

tech support seems hesitant to issue a repair order and is quite insistent that it's my earbuds w/ mic.  i kept telling them the earbuds w/ mic works fine on my other laptop that was also upgraded to win 10 and works fine on my smart phone.

i tried to convince them that it might be the audio jack itself.  again, they're reluctant to issue a repair order.

am getting frustrated with my new purchase.  my earbuds w/ mic worked before the upgrade to win 10 and for awhile after win 10.  

spent a lot of time re-establishing my settings after the roll back to win 8 and still doesn't solve the issue.

as i'm on the west coast of the U.S., reaching them is problematic for me as their hours of 10 to 7pm eastern time doesn't help either as i'm at work.

HELP!!!  

Thanks.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 1,163
Message 4 of 13

Hi Wilsonlee,

If you have installed the Realtek software, open the Realtek HD Audio Manager , and check the " Disable front panel jack detection" option, under connector settings in the right side panel. The headphones and other audio devices work like a charm. 

Best regards,  

Ashwin.S

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

wilsonlee
What's DOS?
Views: 1,152
Message 5 of 13

Ashwin,

Thanks for replying all this time!

I coudn't find the Realtek HD Audio Manager.

I looked in Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Sound,  and although there's Realtek but it's not "Realtek HD Audio Manager" but Speakers (Realtek High Defninition Audio).

Please advise.

thanks.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 1,145
Message 6 of 13

Hi Wilsonlee,

Connect an external earphone with mic , right  click on the speaker icon on  the taskbar, select recording devices, under this tab check if the mic is detected, if yes select the mic and click on set default option.

Best regards,                    

Ashwin. S

wilsonlee
What's DOS?
Views: 1,136
Message 7 of 13

I got as far as "set default option". but that was highlighted for me to click on.

wilsonlee
What's DOS?
Views: 1,135
Message 8 of 13

i meant that "wasn't" highlighted for me to select.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 1,126
Message 9 of 13

Hi Wilsonlee

Try to reinstall the driver and check for the issue.

Click here for driver for windows 7.

Click here for driver for windows 8.1.

Click here for driver for windows 10.

Best regards,         

Ashwin.S

wilsonlee
What's DOS?
Views: 1,112
Message 10 of 13

Ashwin,

It still not working.

I chatted a bit with support this morning and support basically had me started from the beginning of the issue even though they had my chat record in front of her.  Again, they won't issue a repairt order.

I submit a request to Lenovo to get a replacement but was denied because it's past 30 days even after I explained to them that my time spent with support wasted a few days that put me over the 30 days.

What do you suggest?

I just got this laptop.

I did my due diligence and reached out to support whom can't solve my issue and won't issue a repair order.

Lenonvo won't replace my computer because it's past 30 days even though I explained to them I was spending time with support.  

I don't have this kind of time to go back and forth on this.  I have to work!!  

I just want this fixed.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors