Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
jay_rab
Token Ring
Views: 2,301
Message 1 of 24

Y400 100% disk, freezes

About a month ago my Y400 started freezing up and then after a couple mins it would resume as normal. It started getting worst so I checked the task manager and it was pushing 100% in disk usage of which I noticed a couple of problem processes that it would get caught in mostly during idle those being:

Superfetch
Windows Search
BITS Background Intelligent Transfer Service
ExpressCache

So I have turned these off, I also have set my virtual memory to 8gb and a max of 16gb like some have suggested when they are hitting 100% disk usage, that worked for another couple days but now I am still having the issue.

I went ahead and updated all of my drivers and got microsoft up to date and in some cases that helped like for my audio drivers which had a process "windows audio device graph isolation" which would hit 100% disk usage when running any programs that used the mic, but I noticed after a couple of days these processes would again have trouble almost like they got corrupted.

Finally on one of the freezes right before the computer came to a standstill I got an alert from the intel rapid storage technology program that the "sata drive was removed", which is were the OS is stored.

Any thing I have yet to try that you think would help? I am at the point were I am stepping on glass to keep this thing from freezing (no running any programs, games, or any apps) just to keep it running.

LoneWolffe
Token Ring
Views: 2,269
Message 2 of 24

Re: Y400 100% disk, freezes

I solved this problem on my new Z70-80, because pagefile.sys would hog the system for 40 seconds or more at a time. Bottom line, I disabled my page file and upgraded my memory. I hope this helps.

"There's no such thing as a foolproof system. Someone will make a better fool, tomorrow." @LoneWolffe
jay_rab
Token Ring
Views: 2,263
Message 3 of 24

For me disabling the pagefile not only causes longer loading times on the front end but almost constant hits to the disk at 100% to were it freezes at the tip of a hat, so it actually makes it worst.
LoneWolffe
Token Ring
Views: 2,248
Message 4 of 24

I didn't know you'd already tried that. Sorry I couldn't help. :/
"There's no such thing as a foolproof system. Someone will make a better fool, tomorrow." @LoneWolffe
jay_rab
Token Ring
Views: 2,245
Message 5 of 24

No worries, I did try it again to see on the off chance that it worked with no luck at this point I am willing to try things I have already done for even a slight bit of hope.
LoneWolffe
Token Ring
Views: 2,244
Message 6 of 24

In the thread I referenced in my first response, someone posted a link to a
pretty good troubleshooting page. Maybe you'll find something in that one
that might help.

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,240
Message 7 of 24

@jay_rab wrote:
No worries, I did try it again to see on the off chance that it worked with no luck at this point I am willing to try things I have already done for even a slight bit of hope.

As discuss in message 24 the disabling of the pagefile will require more ram and use less hdd space. If that will not remedy your problem you can also run resource monitor and identify processes that are using your disk. It is discuss with procedure on how to do it in message 12.

jay_rab
Token Ring
Views: 2,236
Message 8 of 24

@LenBlazer wrote:

@jay_rab wrote:

As discuss in message 24 the disabling of the pagefile will require more ram and use less hdd space. If that will not remedy your problem you can also run resource monitor and identify processes that are using your disk. It is discuss with procedure on how to do it in message 12.

The problem in this regard is one of the processes of issue is the ntoskrnl.exe IE the system file

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,233
Message 9 of 24

There are numerous reason for a heavy disk usage and yours is one. That file might be defective or corrupted. To check and repair run in elevated command prompt (w/o quotation mark) "sfc /scannow & dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth".

jay_rab
Token Ring
Views: 2,199
Message 10 of 24

@LenBlazer wrote:

There are numerous reason for a heavy disk usage and yours is one. That file might be defective or corrupted. To check and repair run in elevated command prompt (w/o quotation mark) "sfc /scannow & dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth".

Extremely sorry for the late reply, I should of gave a message saying that I couldnt try this till now.

I seem to have only successfully finish the dism and not the sfc here are the results it gave me:

sfc /scannow & dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 79% complete.

Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested opertaion.

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Image Version: 6.3.9600.17031
[===========================100.0%==========================]
The restore operation completed successfully. The component store corruption was repaired.
The operation completed successfully	

Still having the same issues, also while im disabling of the pagefile, disk now only shows as using a max of 50% when its load heavy and freezing vs before it going up to 100% and freezing.

Also when I try to run chkdsk /f /r in cmd(admin) it says "Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process."

In addition I have noticed that in my "action center" as microsoft calls it I have list of "host process for windows services" that had a "windows update installation problem" from today going back to 5/18 I dont know if this is a Red Herring or not so here is one of them:

Problem signature
Problem Event Name:	WindowsUpdateFailure3
ClientVersion:	7.9.9600.17729
Win32HResult:	8024000e
UpdateID:	00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000
Scenario:	Scan
RevisionID:	0
IsManaged:	0
LastError:	0
CallerAppID:	AutomaticUpdates
ServiceUsed:	{855E8A7C-ECB4-4CA3-B045-1DFA50104289}
MiscField2:	0