Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
blackviper8891
What's DOS?
Views: 1,363
Message 1 of 3

Y400 DVD/CD Drive Not Working

Recently my DVD/CD Drive stopped working. Under the device manager, it says it is functioning properly, but after a disc is inserted, it doesn't detect it or read it. Is this a software/driver issue? Or is the Drive itself faulty and need to be a warranty fix? 

BamBam22
Paper Tape
Views: 1,327
Message 2 of 3

Re: Y400 DVD/CD Drive Not Working

Are you saying that when a CD is inserted into the drive that auto play does not start or that you cannot manually open the DVD drive to view the contents?

If it the Auto Play problem then you can change the settings in the control panel under "Auto Play". 

If you cannot access the disk at all I would check to see if Microsort update "upgraded" the driver.  If so, then go into device manager, double click on your DVD/CD drive, select the driver tab and press the "rollback driver" button.  Hopefully that will fix it.  If it does you will need to change your settings in Microsoft Update to "Download Updates But Do Not Install" option. 
Then when you next get a notification that Microsoft has downloaded updates you will need to look in it for the DVD drive update, de-select it and left click on that update and select "hide update". 

If this does not fix your problem your next step is to go to a reputable website (example cnet.com) and search for DVD drive testing program.  You can find free ones there that work fine.  After that it should tell you if your DVD drive is bad.  If so and you are out of warranty you will need to take it to a computer repair center or do some research yourself to find a replacement drive will fit your computer.  The last option is you can pick up an external DVD drive that connects via USB and just ignore the bad one in your computer.  The USB DVD drive will most likely be cheaper than ordering an OEM drive.

blackviper8891
What's DOS?
Views: 1,313
Message 3 of 3

Re: Y400 DVD/CD Drive Not Working

Basically, if I insert an audio CD into the drive and attempt to access it through iTunes, WMP, or the file explorer, it does not detect the CD/DVD. It will ask to insert a CD/DVD into the drive, despite that there is already one there. I've tried multiple discs, ones I've used before in this laptop. In the device manager, this drive, the E: drive for the CD/DVD-rom is listed as functioning properly.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors