Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gchan11
Paper Tape
Views: 1,136
Message 1 of 9

Y400 Speaker Issue

The sound coming from my computer's built-in speakers are extremely quiet, much quieter than what they originally were when I purchased the laptop.

Sound from all other outputs are completely normal. Using earbuds, headphones, or external speakers all create sound at a normal volume. However, to hear sound at an even audible volume through the computer's speakers, I have to turn the volume to the max, and it's still somewhat quiet.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling all the sound drivers and nothing works.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 1,111
Message 2 of 9

Re: Y400 Speaker Issue

hi gchan11,

Welcome to the Community

When you uninstalled the Sound driver, have you tested the sound using the generic windows driver? If you have, can you enable loudness equalization on the sound enhancements and observe (see image below) and enable dolby (Dolby Tab):

loudness.png

Let me know your findings,

neokenchi

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

gchan11
Paper Tape
Views: 1,107
Message 3 of 9

Quick question, when I uninstall the Realtek sound driver, how do I know if I have the generic windows driver activated?

Thanks

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 1,092
Message 4 of 9

hi gchan11,

In the Device Manager, here's what it looks like when the sound driver is installed / uninstalled:

sound driver (modified).png

When it's set to "High Definition Audio Device", that means it's using Windows' inbox (generic) driver.

Regards,

neokenchi

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

gchan11
Paper Tape
Views: 1,083
Message 5 of 9

These are the current sound drivers I have after uninstalling the Realtek High Def Audio, with no sound currently coming out of my speakers/earphones. Is this correct?

Screenshot.PNG

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 1,072
Message 6 of 9

hi,

Have you restarted the PC or did a "scan for hardware changes" under the device manager after you uninstalled the sound driver?

The Nvidia High definition Audio is most likely for your HDMI (when you connect to a TV, it outputs video+audio).

gchan11
Paper Tape
Views: 1,053
Message 7 of 9

I have gotten the generic sound card to work. Checking the "loudness equalization" does not seem to help the speakers though, being just as quiet as before. Earphones and other outputs still work though.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 1,033
Message 8 of 9

hi gchan11,

If the generic sound driver still outputs low sound during a music/video playback (i.e. youtube, pandora, etc.) then it's not a driver issue. In this case, it could be something hardware or updates that got pushed to the OS itself. 

To isolate the OS issue, backup important files and try to:

1. Perform a System Restore to undo any changes on the OS that might have caused the issue (windows updates, drivers, etc)

2. Press the One Key Recovery button to restore the unit from factory settings

If the problem remains, the root cause is possibly the speakers or the wires that goes to the speakers and you need to contact lenovo for service.

Regards,

neokenchi

gchan11
Paper Tape
Views: 1,022
Message 9 of 9

Okay thanks. Another thing is that the speakers will output normal sound upon starting up the computer, but as soon as earphones are plugged in, the speakers start to have problems. This happens with any type of earbuds plugged in, as far as I can tell.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors