Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
300pl-troubled
Paper Tape
Views: 302
Message 1 of 1

Y400 - question on USB recovery disk format and partition table

Hi,

Couple of months ago, I have managed to install fedora 18 on my son's Y400 laptop (model December 2012) and enable UEFI dual boot, with secure options. Before the installation, I have created an USB recovery stick as per the instructions from  Microsoft.

Couple of days ago, I tried to make a fresh install of fedora 20 over the existing partitions and messed it up. To make things worse, in an attempt to recover, I have managed to delete Windows Recovery Environment partition from HDD. At the moment the laptop is unbootable.

The thing is is that I don't have the proper USB recovery stick anymore, but the images of it (both in ISO and .img extensions) stored on another box.

I am trying to recreate USB recovery stick from the image stored on another box. My questions are:

1) Would that be possible at all?

2) Does anyone know specifics about the partition table layout of the USB stick on which the recovery image should be written? Does it have to have GPT Partition Table written on? Mind, I am formatting it under Systemrescue Linux, since I don't have windows 8 handy (but formatting it under windows 7 would be easy for me).

3) Does anyone know which filesystem the USB stick should be formatted before writing the image on it?

4) In the case I try to recover the deleted partition by testdisk, which files I should particularly look for? What's the name of the backup file which will enable lenovo recovery tool to do the job?

Many thanks in advance

Top Kudoed Authors