Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hood2014
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,655
Message 1 of 15

Y410P battery not charging

Hi all!,

I have the next situation. I have a Lenovo Ideapad Y410p, bios version 3.05. When I was doing a battery calibration, when the percent was in 1%, suddenly the laptop turn off and didnt turn on again... It was my second battery calibration, the first one was last year and everything was fine.

Now, obviously the battery with 0% of charge, I'd tried to turn on but it doesnt work, so after read several forums I saw a temporary solution... pull back the battery, unplugged the ac charger, plugged again and turn on, and it works... after that, with the laptop turned on, put the battery and start to charging!!, ... but... If I remove the ac charger, and plug in again, the battery not charging, The only way that works are the steps that I commented before.

I know that is not a hardware issue, is a software issue. I have a friend who has the same model laptop and swap the battery and ac charger and at his computer it works fine. So I tested the ac charger, is it ok when before connect to the laptop, 19.5V, but, with the battery inside, the ac charger down to 8 o 7V.

So this is my theory, The computer (bios), is switched to drain the battery, and it doesnt change the status, so unless change this status the battery will not charge or the computer will not start on with the battery inside and connected to the ac power.

I read that several people had this problem, with different lenovo models, so Im not the only one that I have the issue.

Question, somebody had this problem and fixit? Is a possiblity to downgrade the bios version to re-flash again? Any suggest?

Thank you for your support!
Pablo.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,643
Message 2 of 15

Re: Y410P battery not charging

Try doing a reset of the BIOS as that procedure may clear any battery settings.  Here is how.....

1. Unplug the charger / adapter.
2. Remove the battery.
3. Press and hold the Power Button for 15 seconds.
4. Re-install the battery, plug in the charger / adapter if needed and power up the system to see if the problem was resolved.

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

hood2014
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,632
Message 3 of 15

Nop... Indeed I've tried 30 seconds too (I read in the forum).

The battery led not flicking as usuad did... always is on.

I've roll back the bios firmware to 2.07, tried, the same scenario, and back to 3.05.

I cant belive there is not exist a clear solution for that. It is sure that is not a hardware issue.

Thank you!

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,626
Message 4 of 15

Have you tried doing a clean install of the Lenovo Energy Management ?  If not, I would uninstall it, reboot the computer and then do a fresh install and see if that resolves the problem. 

The link below is for the Lenovo Energy Management from Lenovo for your model. Just select your operating system in the top box for the correct download listing.......

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/ideapad-y-series-laptops/ideapad-y410p...

Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

hood2014
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,618
Message 5 of 15

Yes I did it too.

Honestly Im in a bad mood right now, I cant believe that this high performance machine cant resolve this...

By the way, look at this post... I can't imagine that:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-V-Z-and-P-series/Solution-for-laptop-cannot-detect-AC-adapt...

hood2014
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,616
Message 6 of 15

And by the way... how is it possible that a software delivered by the same factory who create the machine has this issue, and the worst... can produce a hardware error if this post is true...

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,608
Message 7 of 15

Unfortunately hardware and software design is beyond my pay grade so I really can't say. 

Do you have any type of disc that will boot up the laptop ?  The reason I am asking is back when I first got my Z570 I encountered a problem where the battery wouldn't charge.  After I playing with different options I decided to take a different approach.  I got out a Linux boot disc I had and booted my Z570 into Linux and played with that for a while.  My objective at the time was to remove Windows and its software from the charging picture.  After 20 minutes or so of using Linux I rebooted my laptop back into Windows and it was now taking a charge.  I never had it happen again so I couldn't repeat the procedure to say for sure if that was fix, but I thought I would mention it.

hood2014
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,604
Message 8 of 15

You know what, that is a good try!!! I've hang out with Lenovo support for the 4th time, and repeat the same speech over and over, bring it back to the support and blah blah blah... 

I wil try working with Linux, and see what happened. What is your suggest, install linux with the battery and ac charger plugged?

Thank you!

hood2014
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,582
Message 9 of 15

Sadly... it didnt work...

I installed Ubuntu, work all night in battery discharging and set up with "do nothing" when the battery is 0%.

After the powers gone, I pressed the on button and the orange led blinked indicating that the battery is out energy. So I connect the AC charger and nothing... nothing!!!

I really refuse that a simple battery calibration can do this! I can't belive it!!!!

I donno what more to do to fix this issue...

Thank you anyway for your support, Im very glad for your comments.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,560
Message 10 of 15

You mentioned previously that you had a friend with the same model laptop, have you tried using their laptop to charge your battery back to 100%.  It would be interesting to see if your laptop maintains the charge on the battery when it is installed back into your laptop.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors