Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gerrshel
Paper Tape
Views: 745
Message 1 of 5

Y410P questions before purchase

couple of questions regarding the current choices of preconfigured Y410P....

What is the difference on the network cards N-2230 or N-7260? Intels site shows the 7260 as newer but no real differences spelled out...

I am considering the machine with the 24G SSD addition(1T HDD) ... wondering if it is worth the extra 40 bucks.... don't really understand the function of caching.... Can anyone point me at a good explanation "for dummies"?

We are not gamers but am looking for a good upper end laptop to consolidate many years worth of photos/music/videos etc. from 3 old XP machines and use as a primary general purpose machine.

Not sure if the extra video card is worth it either .... expect that we will connect it to a tv set via hdmi from time to time just to watch a show, etc.   ....

Never owned Lenovo before but have been getting good feedback generally in terms of quality ....

thanks for any advice....

The Y series seems to be a good price and keep coming back to it after looking at the other Lenove series ... thanks for any advice

cbautis2
Bit Torrent
Views: 740
Message 2 of 5

Re: Y410P questions before purchase

This is just my opinion but here are my thoughts:

The 7260N has no difference in features with the 2230. The only thing that's different is the drivers. The 7260N uses the 16.x.x.x drivers (x is just an arbitrary number) while 2230 uses 15.x.x.x drivers. Maybe newer versions of Intel WiFi dashboard or WiDi with new features will be supported more on the 7260N since it's newer. I can't say about the connection reliability of the 2230 but the 7260N that I upgraded from the Centrino 1000N is reliable (recently) and is much faster than the older centrino.

The 24 GB SSD is used for caching frequently accessed programs in order to launch them faster. Many people buy the one with SSD to ensure that they get the NGFF port so that they can upgrade to the higher capacity SSD (e.g. the 128 GB M.2 NGFF SATA SSD from mydigitaldiscount). A couple of months ago there was an issue that if you don't purchase the one with the SSD, you won't get the NGFF port. I don't know if this is still an issue though.

As for SLI, if you use the laptop primarily for non-gaming purposes then it's a bad choice since you lose 1/2 of battery life you can get from the non SLI version. SLI does not support Nvidia Optimus which turns off the dGPU when not gaming. SLI is also very picky with drivers while the non SLI is generally not but on some occassions you might encounter driver incompatibility.

For build quality, I can't comment on that one since I don't own the laptop. Check out Youtube videos for that.

Hope this helps

Lenovo Y470: i7-2670QM | 8 GB DDR3 1333 MHz RAM | Nvidia GeForce GT 550M | 500 GB 7200 RPM Seagate HDD | ASUS PCE-AC56 802.11ac Network Adapter | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
gerrshel
Paper Tape
Views: 728
Message 3 of 5

Thanks ...

I believe the lack of a NGFF port (new term to me) without ordering the model with SSD is still the same ... it is hard to get a sales rep to confirm that tho... I was not aware that I could up the size of the SSD....

as a user do I see the 24G SSD shown as a seperate hard drive than the HDD? (i.e. SSD=C:,HDD=D: ...??)

Sorry, I am not familiar with the term SLI .... but you are refering to the NVidia graphic card?  Do you know if there are any power control features fo the user to minimize the unneeded battery consmption?

thanks, I appreciate the advice...

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 718
Message 4 of 5

There are slight differences between the two wifi card. The 7260 is better compared to the 2230. See comaparison.

Wifi comparison.JPG

cbautis2
Bit Torrent
Views: 710
Message 5 of 5

@gerrshel wrote:

Thanks ...

I believe the lack of a NGFF port (new term to me) without ordering the model with SSD is still the same ... it is hard to get a sales rep to confirm that tho... I was not aware that I could up the size of the SSD....

as a user do I see the 24G SSD shown as a seperate hard drive than the HDD? (i.e. SSD=C:,HDD=D: ...??)

Sorry, I am not familiar with the term SLI .... but you are refering to the NVidia graphic card?  Do you know if there are any power control features fo the user to minimize the unneeded battery consmption?

thanks, I appreciate the advice...

The 24 GB SSD will be hidden in the computer page and will only be shown in the disk management utility. If not it might be shown in the my computer page but will be inaccessible. This due to the software called expresscache which manages the SSD caching (no need to tinker with this since this is already configured out of the box). The thread that talks about NGFF port missing if you didn't buy the SSD cache model is here: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-V-Z-and-P-series/NO-NGFF-in-Lenovo-Y510p/td-p/1192425

In case you want to put Windows and some programs to a large SSD, you can purchase the 128 GB model here: http://www.mydigitaldiscount.com/mydigitalssd-128gb-super-cache-2-sc2-42mm-sata-iii-6g-m.2-ngff-ssd-...

I'm not sure if it'll void warranty though.

As for the graphics, SLI is basically the model with 2 Nvidia GPUs. SLI is what makes those 2 Nvidia GPUs work together. No amount of power saving that will improve your battery life with the SLI model since they're the ones who do the graphics work for everything and they are power hungry by nature. The single Nvidia model has a feature called Nvidia Optimus which literally turns off the Nvidia GPU and switching all of the graphics work to the Intel HD graphics. This saves a lot of battery and allows the laptop to last 4 - 5 hours as opposed to 1.5 - 2 hours with the SLI model. When opening a game, the Nvidia GPU will awake in a instant so there's no trade off between battery life and performance.

Lenovo Y470: i7-2670QM | 8 GB DDR3 1333 MHz RAM | Nvidia GeForce GT 550M | 500 GB 7200 RPM Seagate HDD | ASUS PCE-AC56 802.11ac Network Adapter | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors