Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kannon
What's DOS?
Views: 940
Message 1 of 6

Y410p - Boot loop?

I bought this Lenovo laptop last year in china and just yesterday while i was using it..a blue screen with numbers and letters popped up..so i forced shutdown by holding down The power button, then the shutdown screen came up saying updating..something...so i kept holding the button for a few seconds and it switched off. When i tried to turn it back on again, the lenovo logo will pop up follows by a black screen and half a second later the logo comes back again...and repeats it self.

I have tried:

-draining the battery

-opening from the back and take of parts that could be taken of then replacing them..including the ram sticks that i have switched as well as this little chip that is half the size of the ram stick.

-resetting the bio thinging...and it continues to do the loop thing.

-click the button beside where the charger connects, a blue window poped up saying "Novo Button Menu" with 4 options -normal start up. Tried it just continues the boot loop. -bios setup, tried to reset to default like i said before. -boot menu, i had 4 options as well but all of them just continues to loop after i click them. Then there is -system recovery, which continues the loop.... :'(

Btw i have ssd...and i dont know much about computers so i searched all around google and youtube but nothing worked.

If you have any ideas at all please comment!
Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 914
Message 2 of 6

Re: Y410p - Boot loop?

hi Kannon,

Welcome to the Forums.

If doing System Recovery via the Novo Button still creates the reboot loop then you likely have a failing hardware component.

Other things that you can try:

1. If you have a Y410p with SLI configuration (i.e., Dual Nvidia GT750M), remove the ultraybay GPU first and observe.

2. If you have a 1TB HDD + 24GB / 32GB mSATA SSD configuration, try to take out the mSATA SSD and just leave the HDD intact and observe.

- Link to picture

3. Run a diagnostic on the HDD/SSD and memory via the Lenovo Diagnostic Solutions (see Bootable Diagnostics)

- Link to picture

Alternatively, you can use MemTest86+ for the memory test and one of the following for the HDD/SSD.

- Seatoolls

- Data Lifeguard Diagnostics

- HD Tune

- http://www.hdtune.com/faq_1.html

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Kannon
What's DOS?
Views: 900
Message 3 of 6

Hi Sir.

I honestly cant believe you guys responded so fast giving a lot of holp, but i still have some questions regarding your reply.

I do game with this computer and i know that i have the Nvidia program. But im not sure how to remove the GPU ultravey thing...

I also have ssd, im not sure what it exactly is but i know where it is from yhe picture as i have opened up this laptop a few times. Thogh im not so sure what you ment by leaving the HDD attached as there is only one chip in that slot. And if i take that out it will be empty.

Also im not sure how i can run the memory test for "SSD/HDD"? On another computer?

If you can help me out that would be awesome! Thank you from the bottom of my heart. Smiley Happy
Kannon
What's DOS?
Views: 883
Message 4 of 6

After i took out the ssd chip and tri to boot it says i dont have a boot device and telling me to insert the boot device and press any key.

Does that 100% conferms i have a broken ssd?
And will it solve the issue if i just get a new chip?
Kannon
What's DOS?
Views: 879
Message 5 of 6

Btw there is a red light that gose on when i insert the chip in. And it stays on while my laptop is running. Is the light suppose to be green?
Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 850
Message 6 of 6

hi there,

Sorry for the late reply as I was on a holiday break

Regarding your questions:

1. The SSD in this image acts like cache drive only (for frequently accessed files) and the HDD on the left corner is where the OS is installed. If removing the SSD chip gives you a No Bootable Device then it's likely that you have a failing HDD and I recommend you contact lenovo ASAP and report your findings.

Support phone list

2. To run a diagnostic test on the SSD/HDD on another PC, you will need to take out the drive and use a 2.5" SATA Enclosure (for the HDD) and an mSATA enclosure (for the SSD) to convert it as an external drive and be able to run test on it on a different PC.

3. As for the red light, I'm not sure what this is as it's not indicated in the status indicators (page 29-30 of the HMM).

- Link to picture

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors