Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo P, Y and Z series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

02-09-2015

USA

18 Signins

122 Page Views

• Views: 122
  • Message 1 of 11

Y410p LONG Boot time Help

2015-02-09, 16:09 PM

I have had a Lenovo Y410P for about 1 and a half years (out of warranty) and I have loved it all the time. Up until 3 weeks ago this laptop has been bringing me to the login screen quickly under a min., Now it can take from 20 min. to 90 min. (1 and a half hours arrrrg :(   ) Now when I press the power button it brings me to a black screen. I now wait forever till the black Lenovo screen pops up then it seems to progress and login normally. Sometime I am not lucky enough to even see the Lenovo Logo and have to do a hard reset.. I have done several full virus scans and nothing had been found

Unfortunately I never backup and have no restore point.  I was able to create an image and copied to a new hard drive unfortunately the results were the same. I did notice that writing to and from the hard drive was inconsistent.

I did check the memory (it passed)

I have a older BOIS ver. 1.7 CAN I SAFLY update it?

Does anyone know what the computer is doing between the power up button being depressed and the Lenovo black screen popping up that could cause this issue?

Any ideas or suggestions would be welcome

Options

Re: Y410p LONG Boot time Help

2015-02-10, 0:42 AM

My Y510p did that to me a while ago. Although I'm running a modified v3.05 BIOS, this might still work for you. Try entering the BIOS and resetting everything to default (this will not affect files or anything) with the option it gives you to do so when you're exiting. Not sure why it worked, but it did. And yes, it is safe to update your BIOS as long as you're sure you have no viruses :P. You will have to allow BIOS flashing though (this is an option in the BIOS).

N.B. it's a good idea to disable flashing once you're done as a safety precaution.

Options

2426 Posts

08-11-2014

India

1941 Signins

27001 Page Views

• Views: 27001
  • Message 3 of 11

2015-02-10, 6:37 AM

Hi All,

Welcome to Lenovo Community!

As per the query we understood that you are facing issue with slow boot up in your laptop.

"Do also a Clean Disk to removed temporary files, etc. Do also the optimized hdd after the clean disk operation then reboot after."

Also try to clear all the background running application, try to scan for virus if still the issue still persists then try reinstalling the operating system and check for the issue.

Also try to run the LSC(Lenovo solution centre) and check for the issue.

Click here for the LSC.

Hope this helps. Do post back if issue persists!

Best regards,       

Ashwin.S

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

3508 Posts

04-02-2014

Mexico

2522 Signins

39849 Page Views

• Views: 39849
  • Message 4 of 11

2015-02-10, 15:19 PM

Do you have an SSD installed?

Can you disable/uninstall expresscache software and see if the problem persists?

Also try BIOS reset

Shutdown the laptop.

Remove power supply and battery

press power button for 30-45 seconds

Connect everything

Restart

---------------------------------
Current System - Lenovo Y720
Y720 REVIEW - Youtube Link (Opens in New Tab)
If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.
Options

5 Posts

02-09-2015

USA

18 Signins

122 Page Views

• Message 5 of 11

2015-02-11, 3:37 AM

Thankyou for all the replies

Unfortunately I am still having issues, I do have the 1 TB hard Drive with a 24 GB cache SSD

ArChLinuxOS

I was able to rest the bios to the default settings but this did not fix my issue. I have not had time  or the courage to reflash my BIOS yet but I am quickly getting there.  I was wondering how you were able to modify your BIOS? In my BIOS there is also an EC (BIOS ??)  version do you know what that is?

I was able to delete my temporary file and defragment my hard drive is this what you meant by optimizing my hard drive? Unfortunately this did not fix my issue.

I downloaded and ran LSC you provided and all my hardware passed.

I disabled the express cache, no luck issue is still there.

I set the BIOS to the default setup and followed you instruction. IS this what you mean by a BIOS rest?

Does anyone know what the computer is doing between the power up button being depressed and the Lenovo black screen popping up that could cause a long boot start up time? Are there any setting or default timeout options I can set or reduce?

Options

2015-02-11, 13:00 PM

This is the BIOS and EC mod most people use on the Y510/410p. The mod will remove the component whitelist and will unlock many menues in the BIOS. It has instructions on how to do it :). (Also, your bios does have EC.)

Mod Comment: Unauthorized/unsupported BIOS link removed.

Options

3508 Posts

04-02-2014

Mexico

2522 Signins

39849 Page Views

• Views: 39849
  • Message 7 of 11

2015-02-11, 15:14 PM

Could be that either your HDD is failing and you are getting slow boot or maybe the RAM.

Try Arch's solution, and also perform the following tests (Motherboard, Storage, Memory) -

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/lenovodiagnosticsolutions/downloads

Also, open command prompt and run 'sfc /scannow'

Let me know what results you find.

---------------------------------
Current System - Lenovo Y720
Y720 REVIEW - Youtube Link (Opens in New Tab)
If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.
Options

5 Posts

02-09-2015

USA

18 Signins

122 Page Views

• Message 8 of 11

2015-02-11, 23:16 PM

Thankyou for all your help.

After reflashing the bios to ver. 3.05 every thing is great now. I get to the lenovo screen in less than two second and sighn in about 15 sec.

Some how my old BIOS ver1.07 was ether corrupted of a update was incompatible whatever the reason it is fixed now.

Options

2426 Posts

08-11-2014

India

1941 Signins

27001 Page Views

• Views: 27001
  • Message 9 of 11

2015-02-12, 5:50 AM

Hi Motororo,

Try with different HDD as this issue could also persist due to faulty HDD. Also try to boot to safe mode and check for the issue.

Hope this helps. Do post back if issue persists!

Best regards,       

Ashwin.S

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

5 Posts

02-09-2015

USA

18 Signins

122 Page Views

• Message 10 of 11

2015-02-12, 14:22 PM

Ashwin_Lenovo 

Thankyou for the great advise, FYI I did this with both new and original HD both had the same issue until I reflashed the BIOS.  Both HD passed several hardware checkers including Lenovos and Seagates. The Lenovo tool is a nice compact tool for checking most of my hardware.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms