Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JaNeoRotar
Not applicable
Views: 754
Message 1 of 11

Y410p Not detecting M.2/NGFF SSD

Hi All,

The 24GB SSD in my Y410p seem to have stopped working after I upgraded the HDD to a Samsung 850 EVO SSD and installed a new Windows 8.1 Pro.

Problem Description:

1. SSD not showing up in 'Disk Management' or 'Device Manager'

2. SSD not listed when using 'dispart>list disk' in OS installation disk (both UEFI and MBR mode)

3. System takes 30 seconds longer to boot when the SSD is pluged in (BIOS takes 30 more seconds to finish self-test?)

I have so far tried the following: 

1. Enabling 'Legacy Support' in BIOS

2. Reinstalling chipset driver

I'm unable to test if the SSD is working or not because I don't have another device with the same connecter (M.2/NGFF)

Can anyone help me with this issue?

Thanks.

LenBlazer
Not applicable
Views: 735
Message 2 of 11

Re: Y410p Not detecting M.2/NGFF SSD

@JaNeoRotar wrote:

Hi All,

The 24GB SSD in my Y410p seem to have stopped working after I upgraded the HDD to a Samsung 850 EVO SSD and installed a new Windows 8.1 Pro.

Problem Description:

1. SSD not showing up in 'Disk Management' or 'Device Manager'

2. SSD not listed when using 'dispart>list disk' in OS installation disk (both UEFI and MBR mode)

3. System takes 30 seconds longer to boot when the SSD is pluged in (BIOS takes 30 more seconds to finish self-test?)

I have so far tried the following: 

1. Enabling 'Legacy Support' in BIOS

2. Reinstalling chipset driver

I'm unable to test if the SSD is working or not because I don't have another device with the same connecter (M.2/NGFF)

Can anyone help me with this issue?

Thanks.

Check by running without the quotation mark in an elevated command prompt: "eccmd -info".

Highlighted
JaNeoRotar
Not applicable
Views: 733
Message 3 of 11

I have actually remove ExpressCache but I will try installing it to see if anything changes.
Before I do so, I would like to know: How is this going to help me solve the problem? I mean, the laptop is not detecting the SSD and it is not considered a connected device by the OS. How is ExpressCache able to know it?

Thanks.

EDIT:I followed your advice and here's the result:

HFS volume is not mounted.

**ERROR** EECmd exited with error 0x10df (4319)

I would assume that ExpressCache is not able to know anything beyond this.

LenBlazer
Not applicable
Views: 722
Message 4 of 11

@JaNeoRotar wrote:
I have actually remove ExpressCache but I will try installing it to see if anything changes.
Before I do so, I would like to know: How is this going to help me solve the problem? I mean, the laptop is not detecting the SSD and it is not considered a connected device by the OS. How is ExpressCache able to know it?

Thanks.

Afaik, the software is the one responsible for the ssd to be use as a cache. So running the check should tell you the condition of the ssd. 

JaNeoRotar
Not applicable
Views: 721
Message 5 of 11

I'm not actually trying to use it as cache now since I've got a SSD for the OS. However, the device should work and show up in the 'Device Manager' no matter which way I choose to use it.

Thanks anyway.

LenBlazer
Not applicable
Views: 713
Message 6 of 11

@JaNeoRotar wrote:

I'm not actually trying to use it as cache now since I've got a SSD for the OS. However, the device should work and show up in the 'Device Manager' no matter which way I choose to use it.

Thanks anyway.

That is not what I had in mind also but I'm just trying to tell what it is as asked in the previous post (your statement: "How is this going to help me solve the problem? I mean, the laptop is not detecting the SSD and it is not considered a connected device by the OS. How is ExpressCache able to know it?"). Yes you have stated that you can't find the ssd in disk management but you require further suggestion that it is defective or not (your statement: "I'm unable to test if the SSD is working or not because I don't have another device with the same connecter (M.2/NGFF"). Thus the suggestion.

JaNeoRotar
Not applicable
Views: 682
Message 7 of 11

@LenBlazer wrote:

@JaNeoRotar wrote:

Thanks anyway.

That is not what I had in mind also but I'm just trying to tell what it is as asked in the previous post (your statement: "How is this going to help me solve the problem? I mean, the laptop is not detecting the SSD and it is not considered a connected device by the OS. How is ExpressCache able to know it?"). Yes you have stated that you can't find the ssd in disk management but you require further suggestion that it is defective or not (your statement: "I'm unable to test if the SSD is working or not because I don't have another device with the same connecter (M.2/NGFF"). Thus the suggestion.

Thanks for your effort.

FYI, ExpressCache is only useful when the SSD is shown as a connected device to the laptop. Otherwise it won't be able to obtain any useful information.

LenBlazer
Not applicable
Views: 676
Message 8 of 11

@JaNeoRotar wrote:

@LenBlazer wrote:

@JaNeoRotar wrote:

Thanks anyway.

Thanks for your effort.

FYI, ExpressCache is only useful when the SSD is shown as a connected device to the laptop. Otherwise it won't be able to obtain any useful information.

I'm not sure what your up to but I'm just trying to help.

JaNeoRotar
Not applicable
Views: 670
Message 9 of 11

@LenBlazer wrote:

@JaNeoRotar wrote:

@LenBlazer wrote:

@JaNeoRotar wrote:

Thanks anyway.

Thanks for your effort.

Thanks for your kindness.

Could you please tell me which part of my description confused you? I will gladly change it so that my intention can be clear and understandable.

LenBlazer
Not applicable
Views: 664
Message 10 of 11

@JaNeoRotar wrote:

@LenBlazer wrote:

@JaNeoRotar wrote:

@LenBlazer wrote:

@JaNeoRotar wrote:

Thanks anyway.

Thanks for your effort.

Thanks for your kindness.

Could you please tell me which part of my description confused you? I will gladly change it so that my intention can be clear and understandable.

I'm not confuse. Probably you are. Look at my messages they are just responses from your post. You require explanation and that's what I gave. I do not require explanation from your end.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors