Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NuclearTide
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,447
Message 1 of 9

Y410p webcam no longer working after Windows 8.1 upgrade

The webcam worked perfectly with the installed version of Windows 8 that came with my machine. These problems appeared after installing Windows 8.1.

When I start Windows 8.1's Camera app, the LED positioned to the right of the webcam flickers on and off. Sometimes when the LED is on, you can see webcam footage for a brief instant. It's very inconsistent though.

I have Linux Mint 16 installed alongside Windows 8.1 as a dual boot option, and strangely enough the webcam also does not work in Linux Mint. Trying other camera apps, such as Google+ Hangouts, does not work.

I downgraded to Windows 8, and the camera still does not work - even with Windows 8's version of the camera driver.

What should I do?

NuclearTide
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,396
Message 2 of 9

Re: Y410p webcam no longer working after Windows 8.1 upgrade

After a lot of wasted hours, it seems like my webcam does work in Linux Mint on some applications. So the hardware isn't at fault.

I'm hesitant to reinstall Windows 8 and all the drivers from Lenovo's website, because I tried it and it didn't work. No amount of driver reinstallation or Windows Updates is doing the trick. Regretfully, I also deleted the recovery partition that came with the laptop.

*sigh* Guess there's nothing I can do.

Former Employee
Views: 2,387
Message 3 of 9

Hi Nucleartide,

thanks for posting. i was wondering if you've tried to uninstall the webcam drivers and letting windows detect the driver and getting windows to automatically installing it?

How about uninstalling the webcam drivers and reinstalling from the below link

http://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles/camera147w8164.exe

Hope this helps.

Regards
NuclearTide
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,373
Message 4 of 9

Thanks for the reply! Though I have tried that to no avail. Smiley Sad

NuclearTide
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,355
Message 5 of 9

Today, I booted up Windows 8 for the first time in awhile (I spend most of my time in my Linux partition). And what do you know, the Camera app works! I have no idea what happened. Maybe it was a Windows Update. Maybe it has something to do with the camera resource not being released. In any case, my original problem was solved. Smiley Happy

Former Employee
Views: 2,227
Message 6 of 9

Hi NuclearTide,

Thanks for post back, glad to hear that it worked out for you. Do post back should you require further assistance.

Regards
NuclearTide
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,829
Message 7 of 9

Darn, it went back to blinking again. Here's a video of what I mean: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9i3S2JA3qg

If it helps, I get this exact incompatibility issue as well. It might have something to do with the built-in USB camera connection not working: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Windows-8-and-8-1/Win8-quot-compatibility-issue-between-your-power-mana...

I guess there's no way to solve this. The only remaining options are:

• My laptop is still under warranty, but parting with my laptop for any amount of time is impossible because of work.
  • I could buy a USB-attachable webcam, but there are no guarantees that it would work. Probably worth a shot though, considering how cheap this is: http://www.amazon.com/SANOXY%C2%AE-Webcam-Camera-Meeting-compatible/dp/B0015TJNEY
  • I could use my smartphone's camera.
  • I could waste my hours futilely trying to reinstall more things.

:'(

hollowhunterz
What's DOS?
Views: 1,573
Message 8 of 9

i also have this problem .. how to fix it ?

hm32005
Paper Tape
Views: 1,407
Message 9 of 9

I have the same issue as well.. The LED used to blink earlier.. Now it just turns on once and then turns off and stays off. However, I have not upgraded to Windows 8.1.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors