Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nice_tan
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,138
Message 1 of 7

Y430 Upgrading Help!

Hi!

I am planning on upgrading my Y430 Series Laptop a bit and was wondering if anyone can help me with suggestion, directions, or advice.  I currently have Lenovo Y430 Core 2 Duo GHz 3Gb Ram 250Gb HDD.  I am looking to upgrade my Video (graphics) card and my wireless card. 

The reason why I wanted to upgrade my video card is because I am kinda a game fanatic and with this graphics card that I have, it won't work on most games now-a-days.  I know for sure that the graphic card that I have now is Intel GMA 4500MHD 256mb. Was considering 512mb with faster clock speed.  Any suggestions on any graphic card that would fit and best for  the buck?

My other reason to change my wireless card (Intel WiFi Link 5100) because I have a bit of an issue with it.  I am not sure if it is exactly the issue or not but my internet keep freezing up at random moments.  There are times where I'm connected to my internet and it just freezes up the connection.  I couldn't disconnect or close it.  Everytime this happens, I have to shut down and restart to make it work again. Sometimes its good and sometimes I would have to restart my comp like 8-10 times.  It is starting to get annoying.  I am thinking its the Wifi card that is have issue.

If someone can help me with these issues, that would be great!  And before I do anything, is there a guideline on where these cards may be? And is there instructions on how to take them apart?

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 2,124
Message 2 of 7

Re: Y430 Upgrading Help!

you can upgrade your wireless easily.

most of new games required nvidia or geforce graphic cards, this is the reason why you can't play games.

if you have onboard graphic card - i think you have onboard - you have to buy another computer. you can't upgrade your graphic card.

you can use external graphic cards. but it's expensive.

http://www.krasotaiskusstva.com
nice_tan
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,078
Message 3 of 7

About the video card, I kinda figured but wasn't sure.  Oh well, I guess it's better to upgrade my PC instead Smiley Happy

For the Wireless Card... Is there any kind of instruction on how to change it?  Is there a specific Wifi that is better than what I got or is my wifi fine? I usually deal with PC hardware.  This will be my first time messing with a laptop so I really don't want to F*** it up.

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 2,068
Message 4 of 7

find the adapter,insert it to the slot and make sure the cables connected to main & aux.

adapter is like that :

http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/204/1001221b.jpg

Smiley Happy

http://www.krasotaiskusstva.com
nice_tan
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,063
Message 5 of 7

Thanks!!

Retired Guru
Views: 2,021
Message 6 of 7

As already stated, you cannot upgrade the GPU. It is soldered in place and not removeable/replaceable.

As for the wireless issue, are you using Lenovo ReadyComm software? You can uninstall this software and check if the problem persists.

\\ I do not respond to PM regarding individual tech support. Keep discussions in the forum for the benefit of others //
nice_tan
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,016
Message 7 of 7

I uninstall ReadyComm software already when I put Window XP in.  My wifi got better after I uninstalled it but there are still issues on the wifi.  I'm now on the hunt for a new Wifi card for my Y430.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors