Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
eycel
Fanfold Paper
Views: 471
Message 1 of 7

Y460: Installing factory OS settings onto new HDD

I have a Lenovo Ideapad Y460 I bought from Lenovo in december of last year.  I have since then been loving my laptop, very much.  I have had to use the Lenovo OneKEy Recovery 7.0 two times to restore it back to when I first got it for various reasons. I love that feature and would never want to give it up cause of a new win 7 reinstall.  I have been thinking of getting an SSD for it and Im not sure how I would go about getting all the drivers, OS, and Onekey the exact same as it is now cause I dont want to change anyting.  How do I keep onekeys factory image so I can revert back to it after so long if I get a new ssd?  Thanks for any help.

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 462
Message 2 of 7

Re: Installing factory OS settings onto new HDD

@ eycel
use easeus disc copy.
http://www.easeus.com/

http://www.krasotaiskusstva.com
Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 455
Message 3 of 7

@ excel,

you may want to consider, if you haven't already, creating recovery discs and installing the SSD using them. There have been some discussions on there being possible disadvantages with cloning an HDD to an SSD. Here's a couple of examples;

x100e Upgrade to SSD - Apricorn EZ Gig II Fail

Clean install is a MUST on an SDD

Hopefully there's some information in those threads wich helps you decide / find an answer to your question.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

eycel
Fanfold Paper
Views: 450
Message 4 of 7

hmm, I read both threads but I didnt get anything really from them.  There is a D drive along with a C drive on my ideapad, the D drive contains the factory image for ONEKEY I think but im not sure, does any one have any info on that?  Im not sure how I go about makeing the D drive if I just install and use a recovery disk.  Will the recovery disk have all that stuff ?  I have made one of those already but its just one disk, its not the entire win 7 install.

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 442
Message 5 of 7

d drive is for your datas. the partition volume is hidden.
it's better you clone the hdds.

http://www.krasotaiskusstva.com
eycel
Fanfold Paper
Views: 440
Message 6 of 7

Is cloning the drive the same thing as a clean install?  Is there a clean clone install? lol...

Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 434
Message 7 of 7

Basically the threads I linked to point out that the full benefit of having an SSD will not be realised if you clone to it from a hard drive, this is all to do with how the sectors and memory are managed differently by windows on the different type of drive.

The recovery discs will not include the data you have on your D drive, you would need to back this up before proceeding to install your system from recovery discs.

One disc sounds not enough to me, I would have expected at least two dvds. I'm not familiar with the Y460 so maybe someone who owns one and has created recovery discs might like to post how many discs they actually created.

To be sure, could you go to Start > All Programs > OneKey Recovery > OneKey Recovery, allow the program to make changes to your system, and then select Create Recovery Disc. Is this how you created the disc you have previously?

Cloning a drive is not the same as a "clean" install, you basically make an exact copy including all your files, installed application software, system settings, system errors, bugs, warts and all Smiley Wink

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors