cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Caroli
Fanfold Paper
Views: 517
Message 1 of 3

Y470 - Any chance to replace motherboard by myself?

I have a lenovo Y470 laptop and it's beyond warranty. I've done fan cleaning many times and reassemble it back perfectly every time. Now that the laptop is beyond warranty and with a dead motherboards. Since I can't afford a new laptop, is there any chance that I can replace it by myself?

I've surfed online and have found lots of disassembly guides and videos on youtube. So disassembly seems easy for me.

And I've searched a compatible motherboard. Should I order it and replace by myself?

https://www.empowerlaptop.com/p/lenovo-y470-motherboard/ 

I hope there's someone gives me some advice. Thanks in advance.

Mod's Edit: System model added to the front of Subject line to improve visibility / clarity and moved to the proper forum

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 470
Message 2 of 3

Re: Y470 - Any chance to replace motherboard by myself?

If you are comfortable working inside your laptop then there really isn't any reason not to replace the motherboard.  Just take your time and keep track of all the little screws and where they go.  Personally, I use a muffin tin to keep all the various screws separate.  I mark each bin on the tin with a brief description of where the screws go, example: back cover, keyboard, palm rest, etc.  Also take care when unplugging the various cables.  Some of the connectors on the ribbon cables have different types of release latches. Some slide in while others may flip up.   Your videos will be of assistance with those.

I sure you have it already, but if not here is a link to your model's Hardware Maintenance Manual.  The manual not only offers dis-assembly instructions, but has additional tips and pre-cautions to follow.

https://download.lenovo.com/UserFiles/UserGuide/en/User's%20guides%20and%20manuals/Y470Y570/Lenovo%2...

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

Caroli
Fanfold Paper
Views: 456
Message 3 of 3

Re: Y470 - Any chance to replace motherboard by myself?

I appreciate your suggestion. Thank you very much.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors