Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kgorczyn
Punch Card
Views: 1,762
Message 1 of 19

Y470 Slow/Stuttering when Gaming - Windows 8... Was fine in Windows 7

I think it's because of Lenovo Power Management is not working correctly. I can't set the fan to efficient heat dissipation hence causing the CPU/GPU to throttle back, producing stutters in Games and even websites that have a high flash content.

Is there a fix for this? I tried removing Lenovo Power Management and it did not work. I installed the Windows 8 version from the Lenovo Site. I noticed the fan mode button does work when I press it. It does however flash low/high every few seconds.

Thoughts?

ishaan
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,745
Message 2 of 19

Re: Y470 Slow/Stuttering when Gaming - Windows 8... Was fine in Windows 7

If you want to clean the fan you could do it manually
Ishaan Ideapad Y560(i3 330m), Hp Elitebook 8460p!(i5-2520M) Hp Pavilion n208tx(i5-4200u)
If you think a post helped you, then you can give Kudos to the post by pressing the Star on the left of the post. If you think a post solved your problem, then mark it as a solution so that others having the same problem can refer to it.
kgorczyn
Punch Card
Views: 1,731
Message 3 of 19

This is not a hardware problem. In windows 7 it works fine. It's software/drivers not enabling the fan fully, and throttling the CPU/GPU so it doesn't over heat.

ishaan
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,723
Message 4 of 19

If thats the case, then use the energy management for windows 7. The one for windows 8 isnt a good idea. No compatibility issue. You should hope that lenovo release for windows 8
Ishaan Ideapad Y560(i3 330m), Hp Elitebook 8460p!(i5-2520M) Hp Pavilion n208tx(i5-4200u)
If you think a post helped you, then you can give Kudos to the post by pressing the Star on the left of the post. If you think a post solved your problem, then mark it as a solution so that others having the same problem can refer to it.
mersonix
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,707
Message 5 of 19

There's no way to use the fan control button within windows 8, even if you revert to the windows 7 software.  This is a widespread issue adn I called support and they couldn't help.

Highlighted
Former Employee
Views: 1,694
Message 6 of 19

Hi all,

thanks for posting. As you know the Win8 is a relatively new OS with many new fuctions. I would like to break this down a bit so we can isolate the issue to be hardware affected or software related. Now from what have been discussed here it is pointing more towards the software and as some of you have pointed out it does seem like a software issue rather than harware.

But just to get a better understanding of the case here, The Win8 you have installed in your machine, did you do a fresh install or proceeded with the upgrade promotion Microsoft? Upon installing the energy management from the support site did any errors appears? Upon checking the device manager was everything installed or were there some drivers that was not installed.

Please do let me know.

Regards

kgorczyn
Punch Card
Views: 1,676
Message 7 of 19

Hi NINE. Thanks for your reply.

I did a clean install of Windows 8 x64 Pro.

I downloaded the Windows 8 version of Lenovo Energy Mangement, there were no errors. Once installed the fan control button does not work, but it alternates/changes brightness of the button between low and high brightness (just the button, not the LCD screen).

If I play a game, the performance is terrible. I can hear the fan, an it's running slowly. On Windows 7 it was much louder and putting out much more heat and air. Also, CPU usuage is only at 10% while playing Starcraft 2 in Windows 8. This is probably why it runs pretty bad, because the CPU is being throttled.

Some good news, I installed the Windows 7 version as the previous poster suggested, and it worked. My fan control button works fine now and my games are running great again. It's amazing the effects a "energy management" software can have on this computer.

Keep us posted on the Win8 version of the application.

Thanks.

Chris

mersonix
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,668
Message 8 of 19

I used a windows 8 upgrade and had the same issue.  I uninstalled the windows 8 energy management software and installed the windows 7 software.  The energy management control button worked adn i was able to enabled the "efficient thermal dissapation" setting.

After I restarted, however, the button no longer works, despite the fact that I'm using windows 7 software.

Former Employee
Views: 1,646
Message 9 of 19

Hi all,

Thanks for posting your feedback. Based from this posting here I'd like to get the teams to take a look at this in details. If you would be so kind to PM me your information details so I can get the the teams to tak a look. The details I require can be found below.

• Machine Family (e.g. T61)
• Machine Type Model (e.g. 7660-14A)
• Machine Serial Number (e.g. L3-234A)
• Bios version
• Chipset model and driver version
• RAM (e.g. 2GB DDR3)
• OS (e.g. Win 7 64-bit Ultimate)

• Steps taken prior to a reported issue (for an example software or hardware installed)
• Driver list and version of components (depends on issue discussed)

• Customers country of residence

• First and Last Name
• Contact Phone Number
• Email Address

Hope to get Ur PM,

regards

kgorczyn
Punch Card
Views: 1,630
Message 10 of 19

Edit:  PM Sent