Did you mean: 
Highlighted
brianm1962
Paper Tape
Views: 570
Message 1 of 3

Y480 backlight keyboard work on Y470?

Hello,

I have a Canadian (bilingual keyboard) on my Y470.  I have upgraded to 128GB SSD and love my Y470. I just wish it had a backlit keyboard. I see that the Y480 keyboard is backlit, and APPEARS to be the same as the US keyboard layout on the Y470.

Is anyone able to tell me if the Y480 backlit keyboard can be swapped onto the Y470? Will backlight then work, or are there other requirements?

Thank you.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 545
Message 2 of 3

Re: Y480 backlight keyboard work on Y470?

hi brianm1962,

Welcome to the Forums.

For a keyboard backlight feature to work, you will need:

1. A compatible backlight keyboard

2. A keyboard power connector on the motherboard (this is to power up the backlight)

- Link to picture

- Link to picture

Looking at page 88-90 of the Y470 hardware maintenance manual, there's no keyboard part # that has a backlight feature on it. This means that there's most likely no keyboard power connector on the motherboard, thus,

you will not be able to use the Y480 keyboard w/ backlit (see page 87-90 of the HMM).

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

brianm1962
Paper Tape
Views: 535
Message 3 of 3

Re: Y480 backlight keyboard work on Y470?

Thank you very much. This is very helpful information.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors