Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sky1409
Blue Screen Again
Views: 35,271
Message 1 of 9

Y50-70 : How to enable VT-x technology?

Just got my Y50 and loading up my work. Setting up virtual pc's was one of them.

Problem is that VMware tells me that Intel VT-x technology is not enabled Smiley Frustrated.

So i went to BIOS settings and I find no option to enable any kind of virtualization technologySmiley Mad.

Since I find that windows 8.1 could not have been installed on the laptop without this tech, i found it hard to believe that there was no option.

Later i confirmed that it had said tech with Intel's Processor ID utility and CPU-Z.

So, it definitely cannot be that the machine doesn't have the ability.

Tried to find any sources on net regarding this and it is shocking that there is no source addressing the issue.

Hence here I ask you all for help on how to enable VT-x(needs this one for windows 10 tech preview setup).

Laptop Specs:-

Lenovo Y50-70 (59-440646)

Processor - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4720HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz

RAM - 16 GBytes PC3-12800 DDR3L SDRAM 1600 MHz

VRAM - 4Gbytes(GTX 860M) + 1Gbytes(Intel HD Graphics 4600)

BIOS Version - 9ECN37WW(V2.01) by Lenovo

OS - Microsoft Windows 8.1 (6.3) 64-bit (Build 9600)

Omnia Possum : Lorem Ipsum Dolor Sit Modus Adipisci
LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 35,254
Message 2 of 9

Re: Y50-70 : How to enable VT-x technology?

@Sky1409 wrote:

Just got my Y50 and loading up my work. Setting up virtual pc's was one of them.

Problem is that VMware tells me that Intel VT-x technology is not enabled Smiley Frustrated.

So i went to BIOS settings and I find no option to enable any kind of virtualization technologySmiley Mad.

Since I find that windows 8.1 could not have been installed on the laptop without this tech, i found it hard to believe that there was no option.

Later i confirmed that it had said tech with Intel's Processor ID utility and CPU-Z.

So, it definitely cannot be that the machine doesn't have the ability.

Tried to find any sources on net regarding this and it is shocking that there is no source addressing the issue.

Hence here I ask you all for help on how to enable VT-x(needs this one for windows 10 tech preview setup).

Laptop Specs:-

Lenovo Y50-70 (59-440646)

@Processor - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4720HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz

RAM - 16 GBytes PC3-12800 DDR3L SDRAM 1600 MHz

VRAM - 4Gbytes(GTX 860M) + 1Gbytes(Intel HD Graphics 4600)

BIOS Version - 9ECN37WW(V2.01) by Lenovo

OS - Microsoft Windows 8.1 (6.3) 64-bit (Build 9600)

If you can't find Intel Virtual Technology option in the bios then the only solution is to wait for a new bios to be published by Lenovo. Or is it automatically enabled but you have to enable also the feature in Windows (it's not enabled by default)?

Sky1409
Blue Screen Again
Views: 35,249
Message 3 of 9

1. If it is requiring to update said BIOS, then i shudder to think how long it will take for lenovo to fix this problem.

2. If it needs to be enabled on the windows side, then i respectfully ask for someone to tell us how. Cat Frustrated

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 35,237
Message 4 of 9

@Sky1409 wrote:

1. If it is requiring to update said BIOS, then i shudder to think how long it will take for lenovo to fix this problem.

2. If it needs to be enabled on the windows side, then i respectfully ask for someone to tell us how. Cat Frustrated

1. It's beyond our control. We just have to wait when.

2. Correction have been made to previous statement. There is nothing to enable on Windows side since you are referring to VM and not Hyper-V.

Highlighted
Sky1409
Blue Screen Again
Views: 35,233
Message 5 of 9

FOUND IT!!!

I went and found a way to activate virtualization after much research.

For future references for people who have this problem:

1. Search Advanced Startup options (for Win. 8/8.1)

2. Click Restart Now under Advanced Startup

3. Go to UEFI firmware settings in recovery options

4. Click restart now

5. It will take you to BIOS Menu

6. Under Configuration/Security; you will find your option.

Funny thing is that the option wasn't visible untill i did the above steps... Bug? Well, whatever...

Problem Solved!

MilindB
What's DOS?
Views: 34,432
Message 6 of 9

Hi

Is this official from Lenovo? and Is this aplicable for all Y50 Models ?

I bought a Y50 yesterday and facing these issues

Why was it blocked in the first place ?

glopez8
Paper Tape
Views: 33,057
Message 7 of 9

Mine is slightly Different option:

Advance Startup> Troubleshoot> Advance Options> UEFI Firware Settings> Restart

That's how I got to it, but big thanks for the heads up on how to get there. Was driving me crazy lol
RichieRuss
What's DOS?
Views: 33,048
Message 8 of 9

HI do you know why you would want to enable Virtualisation? BTW you can easily do it via the BIOS accessing it via the little button beside the power button. Ive been wrong many times in the past but I just dont understand why you would switch it on as virtualisation is designed for running multiple OS's in parallel?

Cheers Richie

glopez8
Paper Tape
Views: 32,961
Message 9 of 9

The reason I want to enable virtualization is so that I can run virtual machines on my computer. I use vmware to run projects that I can take on the go. For example:

Right now i'm working on a project for work that involves making Jenkins and Selenium work on CentOS. Running a virtual machines allows me to take my project w/ me and also make changes w/out having to install the OS on my computer and having to worry about messing it up. Worst case I can just delete the virtual machine and start over fresh in a matter of 5 min max. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals