Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sky1409
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,159
Message 1 of 2

Y50 - 70: Installing a clean copy of Windows

In about less than 2 months, we will have Windows 10 available. I have already signed up for a copy of it which will come free due to the current offer.

The situation here is this : I am going to install a clean copy of windows since there are quite a few problems I wish to address that came with the preinstalled copy of my 8.1.

Now there are a few questions i would like the community to help me solve.

1. My windows is using UEFI as its firmware and boot type(forgive any newbish mistakes please; as I am new to the UEFI buisness); so, should I pick to install windows with UEFI or would a legacy type be better in some way?

2. Will the product key insert itself automatically during installation or would the product key I recovered using Belarc Advisor work instead? Because some sources say that the key inserts itself automatically and some do not leaving one very confused.

3. There are a no. of system partitions showing in disk management. Can you advise me which ones to format, keep or change in some way for the installation and betterment in general {image below}? The C and D partitions I am already going to format and repartition; please tell me if there should be any problem regarding this and what is best not messed with.

Disk Management

4. I have a hybrid 1TB+8GB SSD Drive, will installing a clean copy affect it in any way? Because i heard from one of my sources that doing so somehow boggled up their hybrid drive.

Besides that i would appreciate any insight, problems or thoughts you may have regarding this that i should consider.

Laptop Specs:

Lenovo Y50-70 (59-440646)

Processor - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4720HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz

RAM - 16 GBytes PC3-12800 DDR3L SDRAM 1600 MHz

VRAM - 4Gbytes(GTX 860M) + 1Gbytes(Intel HD Graphics 4600)

BIOS Version - 9ECN37WW(V2.01) by Lenovo

Firmware Type - UEFI

OS - Microsoft Windows 8.1 (6.3) 64-bit (Build 9600)

Omnia Possum : Lorem Ipsum Dolor Sit Modus Adipisci
LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,138
Message 2 of 2

Re: Y50 - 70: Installing a clean copy of Windows

1. My windows is using UEFI as its firmware and boot type(forgive any newbish mistakes please; as I am new to the UEFI buisness); so, should I pick to install windows with UEFI or would a legacy type be better in some way?
Comment: You have to decide in terms of security which one you should choose:
                   a. UEFI - provides security
                   b. Legacy - No security

In terms of largest capacity of hdd that can be access:

a. UEFI - requires GPT style partition thus can access a very large hdd compared to MBR style partition.

2. Will the product key insert itself automatically during installation or would the product key I recovered using Belarc Advisor work instead? Because some sources say that the key inserts itself automatically and some do not leaving one very confused.
Comment: Product key will be automatically detected and accepted if the version of Windows you're installing is the same version as the pre-installed. Otherwise you will be ask to provide it during the installation.

3. There are a no. of system partitions showing in disk management. Can you advise me which ones to format, keep or change in some way for the installation and betterment in general {image below}? The C and D partitions I am already going to format and repartition; please tell me if there should be any problem regarding this and what is best not messed with.
Comment: If you intend to keep OKR feature, then just select C as the location of your installation (Note: I'm not sure if this work but it is suggested somewhere in the forum). If you have no intention of keeping it then delete all partitions before proceeding (this will result to a clean installation).

4. I have a hybrid 1TB+8GB SSD Drive, will installing a clean copy affect it in any way? Because i heard from one of my sources that doing so somehow boggled up their hybrid drive.
Comment: There were report about some problem for your model, but I can't confirm them since I don't have such a model. However, I have the Seagate SSHD installed in my Z500 and it is working without any problem.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors