Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MathiasLM
Paper Tape
Views: 2,057
Message 1 of 6

Y50 - 70 Power adapter not working while on

Hi, I have had the same problem as this person: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-V-Z-and-P-series/Y50-70-Power-Adapter-not-Supported/td-p/184... . A couple of days ago the problem fixed itself after leaving the PC turned off for a couple of days, but yesterday it got the same issue again. 

I would like to add that I have tried restarting, reinstalling Energy Manager, and have checked both the cord, adapter and plug for any damage and measured the voltage, which yielded no answers, since everything seemes alright. What I suspect is a software problem, because when I turn off the PC, close the lid, or put it in sleeping mode, it charges. Perhaps it is caused by a small physical problem, but it seems like the main issue is software, something like a combination of a tiny problem with connecting everything in the plug, and the software checking if everything is connected, and therefore denying it to charge, but cannot check this if the machine is not running. 

Hope for answer and thank you in advance

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 2,028
Message 2 of 6

Re: Y50 - 70 Power adapter not working while on

hi MathiasLM,

Welcome to the Forums.

Just to check, do you have these part numbers on the AC adapter label?

Also, if you uninstall the Lenovo Energy Management (and reboot) or boot the machine in Safe Mode , do you still get the same error message?

- Link to picture

If you have a different AC adapter P/N # on the list above then it's likely the cause of the "Adapter is not supported" error.and you may need to contact lenovo on how to go about getting a replacement AC adapter.

Support phone list

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

MathiasLM
Paper Tape
Views: 2,019
Message 3 of 6

The adapter is on the list, and I tried uninstalling Energy Manager, and rebooting it in safe mode. The error message does not show up, but that is because Energy Manager is not installed, and it still will not charge

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 2,004
Message 4 of 6

hi MathiasLM,

Thanks for the info. Have you considered running the machine on a live CD (eg. Ubuntu) to see if the machine charges fine (this is to isolate any OS / driver level issues). Also, is the BIOS version of the PC 9ECN31WW (V1.14)?

If the problem persist on a non-Windows OS then it's likely that the BIOS firmware (which checks for hardware peripherals that connects to the PC) needs to be updated. Since updating the BIOS requires the AC adapter to be plugged-in, I'm afraid you will need to contact lenovo to get this done and also to report your findings.

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

MathiasLM
Paper Tape
Views: 1,952
Message 5 of 6

It still won't charge after runnung it on ubuntu, and the BIOS version is correct, so it seemes like I have to talk to lenovo.

Thank you for your help

StarStratDeluxe
What's DOS?
Views: 1,832
Message 6 of 6

I am having the same issue. I was advised by tech support that it appeared to be a power adapter isssue, however I have the same issue with a brand new brick and power cord.

I also uninstalled, and re installed power manager with no sucess,

I am actually prepared to do a complete restore to day one configuration, but...you can not restore with out the ac adapter plugged in.

Has anyone found a solution for this issue?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors