Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
proton_lenovo
Blue Screen Again
Views: 33,062
Message 1 of 22

Y50-70 SSD replacement and Windows 8.1 migration

Help me understand my options and process for replacing my 1TB / 8GB hybrid SSD with a Samsung Evo 840 500 GB SSD. I also would like to install a fresh copy of windows 8.1 as well.

Here's what I understand so far:

1. Create a recovery drive with my USB using the recovery drive option in win 8.1.

2. Replace my 1TB /8GB SSD with a 500 GB SSD in laptop.

3. Connect the recovery drive USB to the laptop and boot from it ... (how do I boot from it using win 8?)

4. This should boot to the windows recovery environment (blue screen background). Follow the prompts and select "Troubleshoot"

5. This will provide me with two choices: Refresh or Reset. Reset will provide me with a fresh win 8.1 install.

6. Assuming my win 8.1 product key is hard coded in the BIOS, I shouldn't have to worry about entering a product key ... correct? My Y50-70 did not come with a disc or key.

I know there's a lot of information on this, but somewhat disparate so just trying to clarify everything. Thanks!

eastcoast106
Paper Tape
Views: 32,966
Message 2 of 22

Re: Y50-70 SSD replacement and Windows 8.1 migration

I have spent a lot of time trying to figure this out.  Win 8.1, UEFI boot, secure boot.. all make this harder than it used to be.  I don't think I can even boot from the windows recovery USB unless I turn off secure boot in BIOS... If I do that, what ramifications would that have if I choose to boot back to the original HD?

I have called Lenovo support.. only to get the same documentation I've already saw.. read back to me (word for word)....

What about the onekey backup and recovery?  I don't want to loose the Lenovo D drive or the hidden restore partition.

Any recommendations out there?

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 32,959
Message 3 of 22

@proton_lenovo

You're right. If the "Copy the recovery partition from the PC to the recovery media" is ticked, you should be able to restore the preloaded Win8.1 and activate Windows as the product key is embeded in the motherboard's UEFI firmware (you should be able to boot from the recovery drive by turning off Secure Boot as stated by eastcoast106).

@eastcoast106

You should be able to boot from the old HDD even when Secure Boot is set to ON/OFF.

As an alternative to the recovery drive, you can try the following:

Option 1:

Clone / Migrate the OS from old HDD to the SSD

- OS Migration (using Paragon Backup & Recovery Home)

Disk Cloning (using Macrium Reflect)

Option 2:

1. Check this guide on how to obtain a Windows 8.1 ISO (see Option One)

2. When finished, follow this guide to make a bootable UEFI Win8.1 installer via DVD/USB flashdrive and use it to install Windows (the installation should be able to detect the Windows 8.1 product key in the UEFI firmware that will let you activate Windows).

To restore the OKR functionality, check this thread as other users have managed to do this (see HDD Replacement Guide with OKR 8.0 Functionality).

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

eastcoast106
Paper Tape
Views: 32,940
Message 4 of 22

Hi and thank you for the response.   So can I go into the BIOS and disable secure boot, and switch to legacy boot -- and then still boot the original HD to Win 8.1?  And then later go back into BIOS and switch back to secure/UEFI boot and boot the original HD?

In other words.. when I make those changes, the keys and everything associated with secure boot are not destroyed? 

I'm looking for clarification that I can play around with the blank SSD and do test restores/ test clones while booted off of cd, etc...   BUT still have the option to just punt and put the original HD back in and get back to where I am now.

Thanks again!

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 32,892
Message 5 of 22

@eastcoast106

If the HDD is preinstalled with Win 8.1 via UEFI mode, you can only boot from it if the Boot Mode is set to UEFI, otherwise, you may get a BSOD if Boot Mode is set to Legacy.

- Link to picture

I don't have a test Y50-70 unit here with me but the keys (product key) and UEFI firmware settings, these are all embedded on the motherboard and you should be able to do some test clones on the SSD while booting from a disc and still be able to boot back from the stock HDD by setting BIOS to default (F9).

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

neethukumar16
Paper Tape
Views: 28,171
Message 6 of 22

hi 

the above process i did but at 32% it is showing some error and restarting... i donno what else to do ....please suggest me some solution

HadesDX
Paper Tape
Views: 27,168
Message 7 of 22

just if someone is interested, migrating to a smaller drive cause the recovery media usb to fail, even if u change the minsize tag on the configuration, it fails on reset at 2%. If u have a smaller drive go to Option 2 direcctly, win8.1SL version activates with the key on the EFI firmaware our laptops Smiley Happy , so a clean install its better to avoid lenovo bloatware.
Good luck everyone.
devilage
Fanfold Paper
Views: 23,624
Message 8 of 22

One question: if i want change ssd from model with 256gb it possible to know speed write/read of ssd already inside?

HadesDX
Paper Tape
Views: 23,620
Message 9 of 22

Hi, u can get an idea with crystaldiskmark, make sure you have less than half ssd ocupied for a most acurate benchmark Smiley Happy. Good luck.
http://crystalmark.info/software/CrystalDiskMark/index-e.html
devilage
Fanfold Paper
Views: 23,618
Message 10 of 22

ok but from website show only "ssd" no name.
For example ssd samsung ***123 or adata ***123
The write/read on paper..

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors