Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Tacomancer
Paper Tape
Views: 314
Message 1 of 1

[Y50-70 Touch] All my games have started crashing

Hello,

This post will be long with the things I have tried and the results of test, so here is the TLDR version. About two weeks ago, games I have been playing on Steam have begun crashing to Desktop. Some crash consistantly, others randomly but all of them do eventually. These games did not crash before and I have tried a lot of different things to fix it, all to no avail.

Longer version and solutions I have tried

I have been running into trouble with any games that I play recently. They all have started crashing while playing, but not all in the same way. For example, when I am playing Dynasty Warriors 8: Empires or Extreme legends, the game will crash if I stay on any of the menu screens for more than 10 minutes, but never while battling in a stage. Rome Total War 2, it crashes randomly during the AI turns, sometimes after 20 minutes, sometimes never. Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning, this game crashes every 15-20 minutes regardless of what I am doing.

Here's what I have tried:
Rasing and Lower settings in game, tried full screen and windowed
Updated my BIOS
Updated video card drivers to the latest
Installed and ran anti-virus and anti-spyware
Ran memory and hardware tests/diagnostics with the Lenovo Solutions Center (no errors found)
Defragged Harddrive

Restored my laptop back to factory settings, and reinstalled everything again

Disbaled the Nvidea graphics card, running the games with just the Intel card with low graphics settings

Hardware Specs:
Lenovo Y50-70 Touch
GeForce GTX 960M
Intel i7-4720HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz
16 GB RAM
500 GB SSD Drive

A lot of people have said that this sounds like a temperature issue and I have monitored the temps and I am not sure that that is the problem. Also my computer has never shut down, which usually happens when overheating, the games are just crashing to the desktop. That being said here are some temp numbers that I ran while playing to games. 

This is from Dynasty Warriors 8: Empires. The crash for this game occurs if I stay in the menu for more than 10-15 minutes. Here are the temps at the time of the crash.

CPU Core #1 = 72.0
CPU Core #2 = 71.0
CPU Core #3 = 70.0
CPU Core #4 = 65.0
CPU Package = 72.0

GPU = 63.0

The following temps are while playing Rome: Total War 2. In this case I played the game for about 2 hours and there was no crash this time.

CPU Core #1 = 78.0
CPU Core #2 = 78.0
CPU Core #3 = 75.0
CPU Core #4 = 73.0
CPU Package = 78.0

GPU = 75.0

So my laptop ran significantly hotter playing Total War (GPU went up 12 degrees!), but there was no crash. So while I may need to cool down my laptop (I have ordered a cooling pad) it doesn't seem to be the only factor or may not even be the cause of my crashing.

So as you can seen I have tried many many things and have spent more time than I ever thought trying to fix this, so any help with this will be greatly greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors