cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Employee
Views: 4,557
Message 61 of 273

Re: Y50-70 customer review - broken hinge problem - buyer beware

While I have no update, I just wanted to let you know the investigation into these reports is ongoing.

I will post more information when I am able to.

Thank you,

XinYang
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,489
Message 62 of 273

Re: Another hinge joint problem...Y50-70 Touch

How did your problems solved and I encounter the same problem.

The computer fuctions well but the teriible left hinge makes m

@HallowedHollow wrote:

Hello, I purchased a Lenovo Y50-70 Touch in August and around November the hinge joint was creaking. As with most of the others, I did not drop, mishandle, or otherwise abuse the laptop, but one day in late November when I opened the laptop, the plastic casing around the left hinge joint popped off. I'm a college student, so I don't have tons of cash, so this laptop was a big investment for me. I sent it off to be repaired, but they stated 'accidental damage' and said it was not under warranty.

I spoke to a supervisor and managed to get the case escalated, but he told me in no uncertain terms that he 'couldn't promise anything'. He didn't sound as if it would change anything and I'm worried I'm going to have to pay close to 300 dollars to repair something that I had nothing to do with. Basically, I'm being fined 300 dollars by Lenovo just for purchasing their product.

The case is escalated and I'm waiting to hear back from a case manager, but I just thought I'd ask some of the people on here, what are the odds of this affecting anything? And if it doesn't change anything, what are my options? Just pay lots of money I don't have? :/ It seems a steep price to pay for not having abused a computer in any way.

t

e crazy.

XinYang
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,486
Message 63 of 273

Dear every one,

I meet the same problem as you said and I don't know whether your poeblems solved.

If it solved please let me know and please tell me how to solve the problem. i like this laptop and it functions well but

the terrible left hinge makes me crazy.

Attreyu
Paper Tape
Views: 4,435
Message 64 of 273

Same issue here - Y50-70, it cost about 1000 euros in august last year. 
First the left hinge cracked and then broke off. Now I am seeing cracks on the right hinge as well.
It's obviously a design flaw. I'm going tomorrow to have it repaired or replaced, althought I'd rather get my money back, since even if replaced, it will happen again after 6 months.
If they pull some "it's not covered under warranty" crap on me, this will hit Twitter, Reddit and everything else social media related very, very fast.

christhayerband
Paper Tape
Views: 4,409
Message 65 of 273

I have the exact same issue. Within a month, my case began to separate from my screen. I did not drop, bump or even breathe too hard on it. The thing just fell apart from what appears to be a faulty hinge. And as if the inconvenience of a faulty product isn't enough, they want to charge me $269 to repair it!!! Absolutely insane. 

Moderator comment: Post edited to conform with the Community Rules guidelines. No campaigning.

Highlighted
iceman20041
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,382
Message 66 of 273

I bought my y50 2weeks ago and is already showing symptoms of this issue, I can hear cracking sounds when opening and closing the lid, The first time I heard them I went and opened my back cover to take a peak and notices the left standoff screw that holds back cover, hinge to main frame was broken, but that is not the main issue. The main hinge support that is connected to the frame has a metal sheet to hold it firms since the frame is made of plastic, it is actually the same piece as palm rest. The issue here is that that metal sheet is not even screwed to the frame its hold by some kind of injected plastic and it starts to get loose really fast. When this metal support gets loose it causes the hinge not to be held properly, this causes the hinge to get hard when closing and opening and that force is transported to other areas of the plastic frame that cannot withstand that pressure and break. At least that’s what I kind of figured out when doing a quick check. I couldn't get more details  since I don’t want to void my warranty

XinYang
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,367
Message 67 of 273

It is a design problem and should be repaired by lenove free.

But no one can make sure the repaired on can last how long time. Maybe three weeks, The problem will occur again.

I really hope lenovo can shoulder the responsibility about this issue.

I'm a Chinese and I trust lenovo but this design problem makes me cray.

I used several laptops before and no one has this kind of amazing problem.

Lenovo, Please stand up and give us a promise to deal with this problem

iceman20041
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,363
Message 68 of 273

Yes it is definitely a design problem, to keep costs down by using glue and weak plastic in places that needed screws and metal. This isn't a $400 dollar laptop to be having this kind of problems.  Don’t get me wrong I love Lenovo products specially this laptop but this kind of problems is very frustrating, I don’t know when mine will break and I don't have another $1200 to buy a different laptop

XinYang
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,252
Message 69 of 273

They ask me to pay 269 dollars for their design problem, That's terrible

I really recommad other people do not purchase this kind of laptop anymore.

The only thing I worried is that the repaired one can last how long time. Maybe three weeks later, the probem will occur again. How can I do this when the problem occur again?

It's really nightmare for customer especially those who support lenovo.

Why lenovo likes to make their supporter sad, for money? That's naive.

XinYang
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,249
Message 70 of 273

After I discussed this issue several times and lenovo agrees to provide free repairment.

The solution is reasonbale but How long this repaired one can last is a problem.

I really suggest lenovo change their hinge design and to  provide better product for customers

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors