Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
eelu
Blue Screen Again
Views: 942
Message 1 of 15

Y50-70 UHD boot time and log in issue

Hi all,

I have had this issue since I got my laptop last year. At first I thought it was supposed to be like this.

so it takes a long time to boot my system up and again a long time to log in after entering the password.

How long? a little over a minute for each stage.

Does anyone has a solution for this?

makes me wonder what exactly is my hybrid drive doing.

Highlighted
Jasoonnmp
802.11n
Views: 940
Message 2 of 15

Re: Y50-70 UHD boot time and log in issue

Your SSHD may have bad sectors so it takes a bit longer for the unit to boot due to those errors. 

i5 - 3450 3.4 GHz / 2TB HDD / 32GB MEMORY / GTX 750Ti GPU
eelu
Blue Screen Again
Views: 934
Message 3 of 15

The programs seem to run fine for the most part.

Still, What is the fix?

Also what is the ideal boot up and log in time?

Jasoonnmp
802.11n
Views: 925
Message 4 of 15

Naturally it should only take a few seconds, but take into play it could many things that are causing it: 

1. It could be a hardware issue: when your SSHD detects bad cluster/sectors. The Ideal fix for that is to have it serviced. Cause if you don't sooner or later the SSHD will become fully defective. 
  2. You could have a lot of programs trying to start up like this: Untitled.png
  3. If you have a lot of start-up programs disable majority of them that aren't priorty. 
  4. Run Lenovo Solution Center: http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/lenovodiagnosticsolutions/tools/lscoverview
  5. Run a "System Restore" - cause there can be programs, or virus' on your computer slowing down your data transfer rate. 
  6. Run "File Explorer/OS/Windows/" and try to find a folder thats labeled as "Minidump" and open the .dmp file using Microsofts minidump viewer: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/315263 
i5 - 3450 3.4 GHz / 2TB HDD / 32GB MEMORY / GTX 750Ti GPU
eelu
Blue Screen Again
Views: 897
Message 5 of 15

thanks.

I ran the solution center and that gave ok to all the hardware. So am assuming no bad sectors.

then I updated all the drivers, including bios.

after all the updates now boot time and log in time are halved, i.e. about 30seconds each.

Is that the best I can get?

Aerione
Paper Tape
Views: 876
Message 6 of 15

I also have this problem. Being advertised as a SSHD, I see none of the benefits that would set it apart from a slow 5.4k RPM HDD.

hAkdB[1].png

I heard that it might need som drivers to fully optimize it. So I went and downloaded the Western Digital Boost Drivers.

Funny enough, I was greeted with this message when trying to install it:

hAl7p[1].png

Does that mean that the drive in this laptop isn't really a SSHD, considering how even the official tool could not recognize it?

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 864
Message 7 of 15

Hi Aerione, welcome to the forum. Smiley Happy

Please see this thread:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-P-Y-and-Z-series/Z50-70-SSHD/m-p/1843419

It's not a totally Solid State Drive, so that's why the WD Boost program does not detect it.

"What is an SSD? What is an SSHD?

If you're unfamiliar with the terms, SSD stands for solid-state drive. It's basically the same as a USB flash drive, but on a bigger, much faster scale. Unlike a traditional mechanical hard disk, an SSD has no moving parts. Storage is provided by memory chips instead of spinning magnetic platters.

SSHD stand for solid-state hybrid drive. It's a traditional hard disk with a small amount of solid-state storage built in, typically 8GB. The drive appears as a single device to Windows (or any other operating system), and a controller chip decides which data is stored on the SSD and what's left on the HDD."

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/buying-advice/pc-upgrades/3520515/ssd-vs-sshd-solid-state-or-hybrid/

Cheers

DragonRider

I'm DO'ing IT

Yoga 900 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz (Skylake-Y)

X1 Carbon 2nd Gen (20A8) ThinkPad/YOGA Tablet 2 Pro-1380F/IdeaCentre A520 All-In-One i5-3230M/Lenovo Y470 i7-2630QM/T420

cabbton
Punch Card
Views: 859
Message 8 of 15

I'm a little confused by your answer dragnoak. Did you mean to say it's not a totally Solid State Drive? Because it's my understanding the WD units on these laptops are infact true SSHDs. And there is nothing in the thread you pointed to suggesting otherwise.

For the OP you could try rebuilding your hiberfile.sys by using Command Prompt (Admin) and typing cd C:\ (to get to root directory), then powercfg -h off, then powercfg -h on.

Aerione
Paper Tape
Views: 837
Message 9 of 15

I agree with the above post, the explanation didn't really have much to do with that I'm seeking and the same goes for the thread tht was linked. Updated the BIOS and the chipset drivers earlier, as those were the only things I can imagine could affect the hard drive performance. Drive is still not detedcted by the Western Digital software.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 835
Message 10 of 15

@cabbton wrote:

I'm a little confused by your answer dragnoak. Did you mean to say it's not a totally Solid State Drive? Because it's my understanding the WD units on these laptops are infact true SSHDs. And there is nothing in the thread you pointed to suggesting otherwise.

What I'm saying is that this drive:

hAkdB[1].png

is not an SSD drive. It's the SSHD. Most Y50's come with the Hybrid 1TB 5400 RPM+8GB SSHD. A few have the 512GB SSD.

But I understand where I confused everyone. I used "Solid State Hybrid Drive" and I should have only stated "Solid State Drive" My apologies. I have edited my erroneous entry.

Thank You

Cheers

DragonRider

I'm DO'ing IT

Yoga 900 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz (Skylake-Y)

X1 Carbon 2nd Gen (20A8) ThinkPad/YOGA Tablet 2 Pro-1380F/IdeaCentre A520 All-In-One i5-3230M/Lenovo Y470 i7-2630QM/T420

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors