Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aerione
Paper Tape
Views: 906
Message 11 of 15

Re: Y50-70 UHD boot time and log in issue

The thing is, if you look at the software screenshot again, it clearly states that it "cannot detect an SSHD", NOT SSD.

I do understand very well that I did not buy the laptop with an SSD. I did however expect an SSHD that performs better than an average HDD, which I did not get.
cabbton
Punch Card
Views: 900
Message 12 of 15

Unfortunately I think these SSHDs are not much better than conventional HDDs and what is more there is no way to check or see how the 8GB cache is working through the OS or any utility, it is purely controlled on the drive chip independent of any OS.

I think both the WD fitted to the Y50 and the Seagate SSHD fitted to other models have rather lacklustre 5400 rpm HDD sections. 7200rpm 2.5" straight HDD drives will usually perform quite a bit better. They shouldn't need a utility either and the WD one possibly cannot recognise your drive because it is for the larger 24GB cache SSHDs.

I don't think your log on and start up issues have necessarily anything to do with a malfunctioning SSHD drive. That is why I suggested the above fix, often the hibernation file can become corrupt on any drive and severely impact upon startup times. You will also find that with Windows 8/8.1 switching to a local account logon (as opposed to a microsoft one) will considerably speed up bootime, at least it does for me.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 890
Message 13 of 15

Sorry for the mis-information. I've had SSD's on the brain in the last few days. Cat Frustrated

After futher investigation, it appears that your SSHD may be controled by the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST).

http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/CS-020784.htm

Do you have the Intel® RST program loaded on your Y50? If so, launch the program, and see what options you have there.

Cheers

DragonRider

I'm DO'ing IT

Yoga 900 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz (Skylake-Y)

X1 Carbon 2nd Gen (20A8) ThinkPad/YOGA Tablet 2 Pro-1380F/IdeaCentre A520 All-In-One i5-3230M/Lenovo Y470 i7-2630QM/T420

cabbton
Punch Card
Views: 886
Message 14 of 15

I doubt that will be the case, at least it's not on my 1TB Seagate SSHD, since the 8GB SSD cache is not seen by any OS as a seperate drive. There are only settings in IRST for SSDs.

eelu
Blue Screen Again
Views: 870
Message 15 of 15

does anyone have the link to update the driver for wdc wd10s21x-24r1bt0-sshd-8gb, I tried the western digital website but there isnt an exact match

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors