Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JRu
Paper Tape
Views: 866
Message 1 of 4

Y50-70 USB 2.0 port acts like USB 3.0

System: Y50-70 Running Windows 10

When trying to access external hard drives (Lacie Rugged 500G and a WD My Drive 500G) via the USB 2.0 port, the drives will show up under Devices and Printers, as well as Device Manager, but not in This PC as an accessible drive.

They do show up in Disk Management as "Disk 1" in the bottom of the window, but DO NOT show up in the Volume List, so I can't manually assign a drive letter.

The USB port will access a flash drive just fine, as well as run an optical mouse.  Both of the external drives are accessible on a Mac running El Capitan, and a PC running XP (eek).

I ran the troubleshooter on the drive(s) when it was plugged into the USB 2.0 port and received the message "USB Mass Storage Device can't work properly with USB 3.0"  The Solution posted as "Plug device into USB 2.0 port"

I've updated, as well as uninstalled and updated, the drivers.

I've gone thru BIOs and reset the hardware.

Anyone have any idea why my USB 2.0 thinks it's a 3.0??????  Physically, it appears different than the USB 3.0 ports.

Thanks for the help!

(I spent 2.5 hours with Lenovo Support and they couldn't figure it out.)

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 858
Message 2 of 4

Re: Y50-70 USB 2.0 port acts like USB 3.0

@JRu wrote:

System: Y50-70 Running Windows 10

When trying to access external hard drives (Lacie Rugged 500G and a WD My Drive 500G) via the USB 2.0 port, the drives will show up under Devices and Printers, as well as Device Manager, but not in This PC as an accessible drive.

They do show up in Disk Management as "Disk 1" in the bottom of the window, but DO NOT show up in the Volume List, so I can't manually assign a drive letter.

The USB port will access a flash drive just fine, as well as run an optical mouse.  Both of the external drives are accessible on a Mac running El Capitan, and a PC running XP (eek).

I ran the troubleshooter on the drive(s) when it was plugged into the USB 2.0 port and received the message "USB Mass Storage Device can't work properly with USB 3.0"  The Solution posted as "Plug device into USB 2.0 port"

I've updated, as well as uninstalled and updated, the drivers.

I've gone thru BIOs and reset the hardware.

Anyone have any idea why my USB 2.0 thinks it's a 3.0??????  Physically, it appears different than the USB 3.0 ports.

Thanks for the help!

(I spent 2.5 hours with Lenovo Support and they couldn't figure it out.)

Try to reformat the external drive as an NTFS type drive. See if this fix your problem.

Highlighted
JRu
Paper Tape
Views: 853
Message 3 of 4

I do want to preserve the contents of the drive, so don't want to reformat if that will delete the drive's content.

@LenBlazer wrote:

Try to reformat the external drive as an NTFS type drive. See if this fix your problem.

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 831
Message 4 of 4

@JRu wrote:

I do want to preserve the contents of the drive, so don't want to reformat if that will delete the drive's content.

@LenBlazer wrote:

That is what I have encounter when I had my 3TB external drive. However, since you want to preserve the original setup of your external drive i don't have any other suggestion to give.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors