Y50-70 Upgrade from HDD to SSD

Hi everbody,

My laptop Y50-70 has

• Intel Core i7-4710HQ 
  • Nvidia GTX 860M 8GB
  • WD Blue 2.5" 1TB (2013)
  • Hynix HMT41GS6AFR8A-PB 2x8GB
  • 1920X1080 display

I bought it in 2015 December. I think time to upgrade to SSD. I did a short term searching. I confused. There are many brands, many type of SSD, different specifications etc. First of all, I don't know which type of SSD compatible for my laptop. Also many of connect type there is. SATA 3, PCI exp etc. Furthermore, there is sata and mSata types. I want  to ask whats the difference and which one is better for laptop. As I understand, the best brand for SSD is Samsung. Especially EVO 850 and EVO 850 PRO. If I decide to buy one of them, my dear friends how can help me ? Anyone know what's the difference between ''850 EVO mSATA SATA III SSD'' and ''850 EVO SATA III 2.5inc SSD''?

Other thing, If I want to upgrade, am I have to remove HDD for put SSD or do I have  another slot for SSD? I mean, can I use a simple SSD with my current 1TB HDD.

Last one, If you have enough money and want to buy one of that SSD, which one do you prefer ?

1. 850 EVO mSATA SATA III SSD
  2. 850 EVO SATA III 2.5inc SSD

maggieJ
What's DOS?
Views: 11,006
Message 2 of 5

Re: Y50-70 Upgrade from HDD to SSD

The Samsung 850 EVO mSATA SATA III SSD and 850 EVO SATA III 2.5inc SSD  both have powered by Samsung V-NAND Technology.

The 850 EVO mSATA SATA III SSD optimized performance for everyday computing needs for Ultra-Thin laptops. While 850 EVO SATA III 2.5inc SSD optimized performance for everyday computing.

Incredible Sequential Read/Write Performance:850 EVO mSATA SATA III SSD is Up to 540MB/s and 520MB/s respectively, While 850 EVO SATA III 2.5inc SSD is up to 540MB/s and 520MB/s respectively.

For Random Read/Write IOPS Performance : 850 EVO mSATA SATA III SSD is up to 97K and 88K respectively, while  850 EVO SATA III 2.5inc SSD is Up to 98K and 90K respectively. 

Included Contents: 850 EVO mSATA SATA III SSD: SATA III (6GB/s) mSATA SSD & User Manual (All Other Cables, Screws, Brackets Not Included).  850 EVO SATA III 2.5inc SSD: 2.5” (7mm) SATA III (6GB/s) SSD & User Manual (All Other Cables, Screws, Brackets Not Included).

Those are the difference between the two SSDs.

If you want to use the SSD, you must remove the HDD and then, install the SSD to your laptop. You cannot use two hard drive on a laptop. Thus, if you want to keep your old data on the new SSD, you can clone laptop hard drive to SSD so that you can use new SSD while keep old data. 

As for laptop, Samsung 850 EVO mSATA SATA III SSD would be a better choice.

SuperStack76
Paper Tape
Views: 2,745
Message 3 of 5

Hi,

in my y50-70 is present a partition with installed the recovery system to restore at intial settings the notebook.

If I clone the HDD into the SSD , I will have the SSD with partition too as into the old ?

Thank in advance for every reply

farisasyraf96
Paper Tape
Views: 2,663
Message 4 of 5

hye ..can you explain more how to clone laptop hard drive to ssd, i'm not too understand ..Thanks!

SuperStack76
Paper Tape
Views: 2,391
Message 5 of 5

Hi and thanks for the reply. Let me premise that up to now I'm studying how to do this upgrade. Actually I did not accurately check how to make the clone. I've only found a few posts, tutorials and so on where this procedure is explained but I did not spent time about understanding exactly how to make the clone of mine HDD on a new SSD. Maybe is better I give to them an accurately watch and I would solve my doubts.
Anyway, If some one could tell me that using the App included or suggested by SSD brand I will clone also the partition exactly as it is, I would appreciate so much.

Thanks so much

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors