Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
y50zr
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,995
Message 1 of 25

Y50-70: Windows cannot find a system image on this computer

While attempting a recovery with a copy of the recovery partition as provided by Lenovo, I receive: "Windows cannot find a system image on this computer".

I have both the Lenovo recovery partition on the HDD that came inside the laptop (15.56GB, PBR_DRV) and a copy of it on an external USB HDD (booted from it!). Why can't the recovery software find it?

Where is that "System Image"?

Please help.

Thank you.

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,979
Message 2 of 25

Re: Y50-70: Windows cannot find a system image on this computer

Usually it is int D drive whose name incidentally is also Lenovo but it is hidden. But if you made changes like erasing/resizing paritions you will get errors.

y50zr
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,974
Message 3 of 25

@LenBlazer OMG I indeed deleted the 25GB D: drive partition (without writing anything into it or formatting it, just left it unallocated), after I backed up two folders that were there (Applications, Drivers, taking 3GB only). I thought that's all it contained. I didn't see any image in there or anything.

I didn't write anything into it or formatted that "unallocated" free space. Can I just restore it to its previous using the same compmgmt.msc tool?

Thank you very much!

P.S. The answer here made me believe that it is OK to delete D:'s partition, as long as I backup all data to an external HDD or DVDs. I don't have a DVD drive, so I backed it up to an external HDD, but only those two folders holding 3GB, not what seemed to be a 22GB of nothing. Am I out of luck?

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,953
Message 4 of 25

If you have made your backup in an external source/drive, try copying that to D drive. No subfolder as much as possible. The run OKR and point to D drive as the location of your backup image files. After the restore, you may erase those files in D drive. 

y50zr
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,950
Message 5 of 25

According to an explanation that I found in this forum, it looks like the D: drive contains not only the visible drivers + applications folders but also a hidden recovery part:

That is why I didn't see it and thus did not copy it with the other folders. In other words, due to lack of knowlege on the purpose of that D: drive (I thought the recovery partition is all that is needed for recovery...) I ruined my ability to do a recovery.

Is there a way to get from Lenovo an image of that recovery part in D:?  Is there a place where I can download it? If so, what is the address to contact?

Thanks.

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,939
Message 6 of 25

The hidden D folder is the default storage location of the OKR user backup image. Since you have made one user backup in an external drive you can still restore your os including your installed programs with all the settings at the time you made the backup following my suggestion. If you want the factory condition you can proceed without that backup of yours (I'm assuming here that you have not erase the D partition so that OKR will still function properly). Note that the factory condition will erase everything in your hdd.

Edit: Sorry, I miss your first info that you have deleted D. In this case you have two options:

1. Inquire Lenovo  if they have the recovery disc set for your unit. You might be charge if they have it.

2. Recreate the partitions and place the OS on it. This requires a DVD or pendrive, a partition creation program and

the information of the other hidden partiitons. See the partitions of my unit.

OKR Partitions.JPG

y50zr
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,922
Message 7 of 25

Thank you. You noticed correctly that I no longer have that original D: LENOVO partition with the original content. I recreated it but did not format it. If I format it to NTFS this will only worsen the situation. Is there a tool to make it NTFS without formatting?

Whom in Lenovo do I contact for a DVD?

A URL or email address would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,905
Message 8 of 25

I don't have the exact number or email but I tried to locate the support page for the Y50-70 touch and this is what I got. On the right side you will find the Support Phone List portion.

y50zr
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,879
Message 9 of 25

@LenBlazer Thank you once again.

Good news: I managed to recover that D: LENOVO partition to exactly the state it was out-of-the-box.

Bad news: Recovery keeps being in the infinite loop of  "Windows cannot find a system image on this computer". Yes, this is despite having the D: LENOVO partition with its original content.

For some reason, the recovery screen provide an option to find the system image from a DVD or EFI network but not from a local parition. Why?

What am I missing?

BTW, it looks like I am not the only one struggling with this: http://superuser.com/a/542700

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,874
Message 10 of 25

y50zr wrote: " @LenBlazer Thank you once again.

Good news: I managed to recover that D: LENOVO partition to exactly the state it was out-of-the-box.

Bad news: Recovery keeps being in the infinite loop of  "Windows cannot find a system image on this computer". Yes, this is despite having the D: LENOVO partition with its original content.

For some reason, the recovery screen provide an option to find the system image from a DVD or EFI network but not from a local parition. Why?"

Answer: You are not using OKR but that is the Windows automatic repair process. You actually have what is known as the "Automatic repair loop" known to users with Windows as the OS in their machine. Don't get confused. You have two recovery options available in your unit, OKR and Windows own recovery.

y50zr wrote: "What am  I missing?"

Answer: You have a broken OKR functionality.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors