cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dbl
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,914
Message 91 of 522

Re: Windows regularly freezes when HDD is spinning up.

Are there some things we could try while waiting?

karlostrokia
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,913
Message 92 of 522

I guess se could try to chante the sshd by ourselves and report here if the problem was solved
Lukaskk
Paper Tape
Views: 4,891
Message 93 of 522

There is clearly nothig we can do. I have ran HDD diagnostics, the SSHD cache has a nice burst rate, but the read test slowly gets to a point with terrible read speeds. with HUGE speed downfalls, I mean this is not normal. 

I have tried using Auslogics Defrag tools, my disk fragmentation is in a mint condition.

Please see yourself (I have a lot of screens like this with various test, let me know if you want more)

Link to image

Moderator comment: Image(s) converted to link(s). For helpful information, please see: About Posting Pictures In The Forums.

dbl
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,874
Message 94 of 522

What about trying to install some custom driver?

karlostrokia
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,869
Message 95 of 522

Do you have a custom driver for the sshd?
Link-
Punch Card
Views: 4,843
Message 96 of 522

The most probable driver to customize the SSD part of the disk would be here: http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=1901&sid=212&lang=en

The driver does not actually install for our specific model, though.

Even if it did, it wouldn't actually solve the problem of the HDD spinning down, though. After quite a bit of reading, you can disable something called APM, but that could potentially cause more inconvenience and battery loss than it's worth. I haven't tested it and I don't know if the OS or the drive itself causes the spin-down.

In any case, to those wanting to replace it without waiting for a Lenovo response, be EXTREMELY cautious when removing the cover. The tabs around the speakers (yes, they use tabs D= ) are incredibly brittle. Following the service manual with extreme care, the same tab on each side literally split in half and fell off when I took the cover off. Luckily, there are three more holding it on for each side.

I did not actually replace the HDD; I just wanted to see how much wiggle room there was to be had. There definitely -looks- to be enough room to put a 9.5mm HDD in; it'll just have less impact protection from the pads.

Lukaskk
Paper Tape
Views: 4,054
Message 97 of 522

Not sure where my post is gone, I think I have posted some SSHD read speed results. 

Anyway, the SSHD is really the worst part in this amazing laptop. Here are some interesting results:

test 4.jpg

Fenzo
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,009
Message 98 of 522

We need a driver or a fix to solve this spinning. It's a common problem and changing it for an ssd after buying this laptop for 1000 euro can't be a solution
wfeng2
Paper Tape
Views: 3,975
Message 99 of 522

-.- I just bought the Lenovo Y70 a few days ago and I also have this problem. Does the warranty covers a replacement hard drive?

wfeng2
Paper Tape
Views: 3,972
Message 100 of 522

"Coincidentally," I also has the exact same model of hard drive...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors