Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dangerous_Dave
Punch Card
Views: 420
Message 1 of 5

Y50 70 battery discharging when switched off

Hi,

I have a Y50-70 which has a strange problem with the battery: even when entirely switched off (not in sleep or hibernate, but shut down), it loses about 10% per 24 hours on the battery life, until going down to 0%. But the battery capacity seems good - it is reporting about 53 watt hours, when it was only ~55 when it came out of the factory.

I'm running Windows 10.

Does anybody know what the problem might be?

Thanks in advance.

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 398
Message 2 of 5

Re: Y50 70 battery discharging when switched off

@Dangerous_Dave wrote:

I have a Y50-70 which has a strange problem with the battery: even when entirely switched off (not in sleep or hibernate, but shut down), it loses about 10% per 24 hours on the battery life, until going down to 0%.

Have you disabled Windows 10 "Fast Start"?  If you have NOT disabled "Fast Start", then disable it now and see if that makes a difference.

Have you enabled the BIOS power-on password?  If you have enabled the BIOS power-on password, then disable it now and see if that makes a difference.

Explanation: when "Fast Start" is enabled, the choice called "Shutdown" on the Power menu is actually "Hibernate" under another name.  So if you are selecting "Shutdown" to switch off your laptop, it is actually hibernating.  A machine that is hibernating can wake up in the middle of the night to do anything that it wants (download updates, install updates, indexing, defragmenting, ...).

If the BIOS power-on password is enabled and the laptop wakes up in the middle of the night, it will sit at the password entry screen waiting for the password to be entered until either some timeout expires or the battery discharges completely.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Dangerous_Dave
Punch Card
Views: 369
Message 3 of 5

I have disabled the closest thing to quick start in Windows 10, and there is no password set.

The battery still appears to be discharging at a rate of about 6-7% per 24 hours. Is there anything else it could be?

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 363
Message 4 of 5

@Dangerous_Dave wrote:

I have disabled the closest thing to quick start in Windows 10, and there is no password set.

The battery still appears to be discharging at a rate of about 6-7% per 24 hours. Is there anything else it could be?

If your laptop is sleeping or hibernating, it can wake up in the middle of the night.  So how are you switching it off?  If you are pressing the POWER button on the laptop, what is the POWER button defined to do?  In the power plan, you can define the POWER button either to sleep, hibernate, or shutdown.  If it is not set to shutdown, change it to shutdown and see if that makes a difference.  This will lengthen the time for the subsequent power on, of course.

My preferred way of using a laptop is to use hibernation.  It leaves all of my applications open, but speeds up power on (I have my POWER button set to hibernate).  I noticed with Windows 10 that it downloads updates in the background without notifying me, and if I then press the POWER button, the system hibernates and then wakes up in the middle of the night to try to install those updates (which it cannot do because I have a BIOS power-on password defined).  However, I noticed that if I clicked "Start" and then the "Power" menu instead of pressing the POWER button, if there were updates pending this was mentioned on the menu.  So in this case I closed my applications and then explicitly rebooted so that Windows could install the updates immediately (and hence would not want to wake up in the middle of the night).

I have actually installed Windows 7 on my laptop, in a multiboot setup.  I will keep Windows 10 for occasional use, but I will use Windows 7 for day-to-day use (Windows 7 does not suffer from this problem with Windows updates).

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Dangerous_Dave
Punch Card
Views: 360
Message 5 of 5

Thanks for your reply. I'm powering it off using the menus, and the 'shut down' option, so I don't think it's going into standby or similar.

Top Kudoed Authors