Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
amr116
Punch Card
Views: 4,854
Message 1 of 11

Y50-70 - graphic drivers problem on windows 10

Hello,
recently i bought a y50-70 i7 core 4720hq gtx 960m ram 16gb laptop and it had windows 8 on and when i tried to play games on it it was so slow so i decided to pay a visit to nvidia website and went for a scan for drivers and apparently i had none.
 i downloaded the recommended one and everything was fine until recently like 2 days ago i upgraded to windows 10 and that's when bad things started to happen.
games were slow and weird so i decided to again pay a visit to nvidia and i found out there was driver i was like okay cool i will download new one. i did but it's as if nothing has happened so i went again to nvidia's site and it still says '' current drivers -- '' so i did a bit of digging and found out that because i have old windows on with old graphic driver so i went full **bleep** it and deleted windows.old but still same thing kept happening even when i did clear re-installation with DDU so i went full **bleep** it again and did a reset for the windows deleting everything on C drive, installed nvidia's latest graphic driver for notebook, and then again same **bleep** kept happening, i did clean re-installtion with desktop nvidia graphic driver and nope, so i went for some last resort kind of thing and went for lenovo's website and downloaded the driver there, installed it and all was well EXCEPT here are some of the symptoms
1- when i try to open a game it keeps flashing in black a few times before it starts working 
2-games are waaaay much slower than before 

http://imgur.com/I3ZuRsx what i mean with nvidia not detecting my graphic driver so i was like maybe it's just the new driver? went for nvidia's website to check for any drivers on my pc, nope no drivers i ended up saying maybe if i install the newer graphic drivers it would be better, and nothing changed within the games and such so i did some windows update hoping for something to happen but nope, nothing i even uninstalled the driver from pc and updated it through windows update but same **bleep**.
i would like to add:
1- geforce experience says i have [driver version here]
2- when i uninstalled drivers gtx60m would disappear from display monitors until i installed that graphic driver from lenovo website
3- i updated to latest driver now through geforce
thanks in advance

Mod's Edit: System model added to front of Subject line to improve visibility / clarity.

tahaMujaddadi
Paper Tape
Views: 4,849
Message 2 of 11

Re: graphic drivers problem on windows 10

I think it's a windows10 or geforce driver problem. I was having the same issue when I upgraded to windows 10 and my FPS dropped in every game. For me the soultion so far is to clean install geforce driver everytime I want to play game. You can also use Display Driver Unisatller to propelry unstall graphic driver. Use NVidia Inspector to check whether your GPU is being utlized or not

amr116
Punch Card
Views: 4,814
Message 3 of 11

clean reinstalling my drivers everytime i want to play would be extremely irritating as i am a hardcore gamer, i play at least 7 hours a day at least (i also sleep 12 lol).
i am not sure if my gpu is utilized or not maybe it is (i think it is i am uploading a pic just in case) but the Fps drop is too huge to be ignored making me go from very high to high/normal.
http://imgur.com/6hyYNVC

Guru
Views: 4,821
Message 4 of 11

My suggestion and this is coming from a fellow gamer - Go back to Windows 8.1 and NEVER upgrade to windows 10.

Reasons -

1) Microsoft will force upgrades, installing bad drivers at times.

2) Most games before 2015 may not be compatible with windows 10.

3) GPU will mostly be underutilized until such a time that NVIDIA, Lenovo and Microsoft all get together to put the right drivers out, which is probably never gonna happen.

You may find workable drivers once, but as soon as windows will detect something new it will overwrite your working settings. **bleep** frustrating I can tell you right now.

For a gamer on a laptop, I dont think its worth sacrificing all that gaming time, trying to troubleshoot these driver problems. (Hence I never even update those drivers until I start having problems with the current version)

---------------------------------
Current System - Lenovo Y720
Y720 REVIEW - Youtube Link (Opens in New Tab)
If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.
amr116
Punch Card
Views: 4,787
Message 5 of 11

Suppose i will just go back to windows 8.1, question tho how do i go back to windows 8.1 without having to buy a windows copy ? i deleted windows.old so i will be unable to go back to windows 8.1 through recovery now.

Shreyas7
Paper Tape
Views: 4,774
Message 6 of 11

Re: Y50-70 - graphic drivers problem on windows 10

I also had the same problem (on Lenovo Y50-70) -
first geforce experience stopped working on Win 10
then i installed latest geforce experience software
got driver update from 353.62 to 358.91
got this error - nvidia kernel mode driver has stopped responding and recovered then none game played
uninstalled every nvidia update done by me
games worked fine
ran the nvidia setup from drive d:
it was 335. something version
blue screen came with error - your pc ran into a problem and needs to restart
after restart lenovo loading screen comes up then there comes black screen with processing mouse but nothing happens
then i had no option left but to completely restore my system to factory default (Win 8.1) using one key recovery option ALL MY DATA GOT ERASED
after that my display worked fine and now i have the nvidia driver that came in windows update and now i can play my games like before.
LESSON LEARNT - NEVER UPGRADE TO WIN 10 AND NEVER MANUALLY INSTALL LATEST NVIDIA DRIVERS (you have to install only that graphics driver that comes in Windows Updates)
Guru
Views: 4,738
Message 7 of 11

@amr116 wrote:

Suppose i will just go back to windows 8.1, question tho how do i go back to windows 8.1 without having to buy a windows copy ? i deleted windows.old so i will be unable to go back to windows 8.1 through recovery now.

Hi Amr116

You can go back to windows 8 using the One key recovery button.

Make sure you take backup on an external drive of your pictures and other important documents, since this recovery will delete all personal data.

Press the One key recovery button. Go to Troubleshoot, then select Reset PC.

---------------------------------
Current System - Lenovo Y720
Y720 REVIEW - Youtube Link (Opens in New Tab)
If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.
amr116
Punch Card
Views: 4,732
Message 8 of 11

Re: Y50-70 - graphic drivers problem on windows 10

Sorry to hear that, i am not sure if that's a problem with laptops or just lenovo overall tbh.
amr116
Punch Card
Views: 4,732
Message 9 of 11

okay then i will have to save my save files first then i will do it, thanks a lot for your help.
dlmz06
Punch Card
Views: 4,708
Message 10 of 11

try win 10.1.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors