Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
digital_toss
Blue Screen Again
Views: 289
Message 1 of 2

Y50-70 wifi does not work with one specific wifi router

Hello guys, I'm new here, and I know that this sounds like a duplicate thread, but I couldn't find anything similar to this one. 

I have said laptop with the Intel wireless card (7260) running Windows 10 and Ubuntu 16.04. I'm on the go quite often so I have connected to several wifi routers with no issues. 

And there is my home. I am rarely here, but when I get here I can connect to my wifi router (2.4 GHz), but often experiencing unusually high pings (above 1000 ms). 

• This happens on both OS-es
  • I have the latest wireless drivers
  • In Windows Device Manager I set everything I could to max the wifi performance
  • No other device has this issue (two laptops, two smartphones, an USB wifi stick on my home network (not simultaneously of course))
  • The environment should not be an issue. The router is 6-7 meters away, with two walls between the router and the laptop. I have an older Lenovo laptop next to this one (G580) and it has no issues at all. 
  • The laptop does not have this issue with other devices
  • The issue is with the connection between the laptop and the router (I tried reaching the router's config site, same slowness)
  • The network properties say that my connection link's speed is 27/27 MBPS, sometimes less, sometimes more, but I always have a strong signal 
  • There is only one other wifi router nearby and that's on a different channel.

It is starting to get really annoying, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

digital_toss
Blue Screen Again
Views: 212
Message 2 of 2

Re: Y50-70 wifi does not work with one specific wifi router

No comments, no wild theories at all? Do I have to go and buy an USB wifi adapter for my fancy-schmancy $1000 laptop?

Okay... another approach. So I have the software called NetSpot installed, it can monitor the wifi signal. 

This right here is the wifi signal strenght for my router in question (green) and the neighbor's wifi (blue) (it's like 20 meters far from here, my router is about 6...) Both 2,4 GHz and 802.11N 

1.PNG

It is bad, and I mean really bad. First of all the signal is really weak, keep in mind that the router is in the next room. Besides that my wifi driver in the laptop is configured to be on full power, the laptop's power settings won't bother it, etc. The router is configured for full strength, 40 GHz bandwith on channel 11 (barely overlaps with the neigbor's wifi)...

39965386_329784520899707_9188211587733782528_n.pngThis is from the other Lenovo laptop of mine (it is located 1 meter closer to my router and 1 meter further from the neighbors). No additional tweaks to the driver, and the hardware is from like 2012, so that's why the weaker signal. But there are no gaps in the signal

Same time, same router, same room, same everything, still my Y50-70 can't handle the wifi.

So I ask again, do you have any ideas what causes this? I am open to any answers at this point, even if you start to explain to me that the composition of the clay that the bricks were made from that they used to build this house does not work well with the modern wifi antennas or something nonsensical like that. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors