Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MCoulter48
Paper Tape
Views: 13,361
Message 1 of 23

Y50: Automatically Turns Off

Hello Everyone,

Im having another problem with my Lenovo Y50 (non touch) laptop. This time, it is turning off randomly. I have installed all the drivers, updated all of them. I'm thinking the laptop could be over heating, which personnally, being a new laptop, it shouldn't be. I have searched the forums but no answers yet to this problem.

It seems that if my laptop is downloading something, it shuts off. I was downloading Battle.net's desktop app, and steam when it shut off the first time. Now when I download anything, it shuts off. Any suggestions anyone?

Right now, I have set my computer to use Prime96, im going to let it run for 8 hours while im at work.

Could it be that my wireless drivers that could be shutting it down?

Any suggestions are helpful!

Thank you to all

System Specs:

Lenovo Y50 Non Touch

CPU: 2.8 GHz Core i5-4200H

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M

RAM: 8GB, DDR3L 1600

SSD: 250GB Samsung 840 Evo (installed myself)

Tru
Paper Tape
Views: 13,208
Message 2 of 23

Re: Y50: Automatically Turns Off

I also have been having this same problem since the second week of having my Y50 Touch. I didn't add anything that could be causing this issue.

I initially came to the same conclusion about it overheating. However to rule it out i got a cooling board any way. My computer still randomly and abruptly shuts off  with a loud "pop" sound (as if an electrical power outage had just occurred). It happens rather just on battery power on plugged in. 

I have seen in other tech communities where other Y50 owners have had this exact issue as well.

It's just very troublesome to have a brand new computer malfunction like this. 

If anyone has any advice or theories, please do share with us. If you're experiencing the same problem, please speak up as well.

Lenovo should be aware, and address this defect. 

Lenovo Y50 Touch

4th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-4710HQ (2.50GHz 1600MHz 6MB)

Windows 8.1 64

8GB 

@MCoulter48 wrote:

Hello Everyone,

Im having another problem with my Lenovo Y50 (non touch) laptop. This time, it is turning off randomly. I have installed all the drivers, updated all of them. I'm thinking the laptop could be over heating, which personnally, being a new laptop, it shouldn't be. I have searched the forums but no answers yet to this problem.

It seems that if my laptop is downloading something, it shuts off. I was downloading Battle.net's desktop app, and steam when it shut off the first time. Now when I download anything, it shuts off. Any suggestions anyone?

Right now, I have set my computer to use Prime96, im going to let it run for 8 hours while im at work.

Could it be that my wireless drivers that could be shutting it down?

Any suggestions are helpful!

Thank you to all

System Specs:

Lenovo Y50 Non Touch

CPU: 2.8 GHz Core i5-4200H

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M

RAM: 8GB, DDR3L 1600

SSD: 250GB Samsung 840 Evo (installed myself)

DrPyroCupcake
Paper Tape
Views: 13,192
Message 3 of 23

Hello,

From the description you have provided I can make an educated guess that the Hard Drive is failing causing the computer to crash. I would recommend sending it back to Lenovo for a repair. I am very sorry that this is happening and I hope it will not ruin Lenovo's reputation for you.

Thanks.

MCoulter48
Paper Tape
Views: 13,189
Message 4 of 23

It's not the hard drive. I installed a SSD. When I returned the lenovo, I bought a gigabyte laptop. Installed the same SSD into that and it has not crashed at all. I personally think the lenovo laptop was over heating by idling. I was just unlucky and received a bad laptop.
testing567
What's DOS?
Views: 13,091
Message 5 of 23

I might be able to shed some light on this issue.  I have a Lenovo Y50 4k with the SSD and I'm having the same issue with the laptop turning off randomly with a loud pop.  I am a Linux user and I may have identified the faulty piece of hardware by accident.  These laptops use an Nvidia Optimous video card setup which means that it is a hybrid system that tries to use Intel graphics to save battery and the Nvidia chip for performance.  These hybrid/switching video cards can be very troublesome on Linux, so I have it set to always use the Nvidia chip.  After using the conputer for a few hours on Linux, I rebooted the computer into Windows and I got a blue screen error and it refused to boot.  I looked up the error code online and it said that it was a video card issue.  I then rebooted into Linux and that would no longer boot into a graphical environment either.  I looked through my error logs on Linux and i had kernel errors saying that the bus couldn't comunicate with the Nvidia chip.  I played around with it for a while tring to get it to recognise that I had an Nvidia chip installed, but no dice.  I decided to just turn it off and walk away for a minute.  Afrer about 2 minutes of being off, I turned it back on and loaded into Windows 8.  It worked like nothing happened.  Then I rebooted into Linux, and that worked too.  I'm guessing it needed to be completly powered down rather than just resetting the pc.  That was last night.  Today, I was watching a full screen flash video on my web browser on Linux with hardware decoding enabled and my fans started to whrr at full speed, the video became distorted/choppy, and then it turned off with a loud pop.  I was able to replicate this behavior multiple times.  It would seem that I was able to unintentionally stress test my video card due to the sub-par Linux drivers that Nvidia officially puts out for their devices.  I'm currently looking into ways to monitor my gpu temperatures and scale down the clock speeds when it gets too hot and will probably be forced to dissable hardware acceleration for flashplayer.

TL;DR  It's the Nvidia chip!  Do I have any type of warentee through Lenovo on this?  It's obvously not just because I'm on Linux because the originator of this post had it happen to him while playing Windows games.  This was a very expensive laptop and I am not happy.  I can't even watch a full screen flashplayer video for more than 2 minutes without it failing!

chan1011
Fanfold Paper
Views: 13,056
Message 6 of 23

Sounds like you need to RMA Smiley Sad I haven't had such issues with mine, I did a clean Windows 8 re-install after I got mine and downloaded all the latest drivers.
Views: 10,275
Message 7 of 23

mcoulter 48

is your problem solved cuz i m facing the same issus with my new y50-70
shackspencer
What's DOS?
Views: 10,267
Message 8 of 23

I just got the newest version of the Y-50 with the core i7 and nvidia GeForce gtx, and I'm having the same issue- sudden shut down with a pop. Only difference is it does it when I open my computer for the first time in the morning. It definitely isn't overheating because it's cold first thing in the morning.
It's not even on its second week, so it's super disappointing, especially since my old laptop worked fine- I believed I was upgrading.
Anyone else have something they can add to this issue?
Highlighted
Priyansh
Fanfold Paper
Views: 10,210
Message 9 of 23

Having the same problem here. Pop sound when it turns off. Happens every 15 minutes, and im pissed.

ceejimus
What's DOS?
Views: 10,187
Message 10 of 23

Hi guys,

I just wanted to add another verification of this problem to the list. I have the Intel HD Graphics <-> Nvidia 960M optimus setup as well (on my Y50 touch) and even after updating the drivers for both the intel hd graphics and nvidia I'm still having this issue.

Issue: Laptop dies shortly after startup (seems to happen more often when starting up after hibernate/sleep). Sometimes just goes black, sometimes dies with the "pop" sound. If I can get my machine running for longer than 20 minute the problem never happens (even when playing games -- although I haven't tried maxing out the card yet).

I wanted to add that I had another problem (that may or may not be related and may or may not help) before I updated the intel HD graphics. The problem was that if I went to the intel hd graphics control panel and clicked the "more information" tab I would get a BSOD with an error message that I can no longer recall (but it had something to do with the OS not being able to talk to some piece of hardware -- I'm guessing the graphics card).

I'm going to chat with a tech rep from lenovo and get an RMA if he can't give me an answer to this. I'm definitely NOT going to buy another Lenovo after this since this is a very serious issue with the product and should have been tested.

1) Can you use the machine
2) No?
3) Don't sell it...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors