Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NealBozeman
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,133
Message 21 of 23

Re: Y50: Automatically Turns Off

Thank you for reminding me that I had updated the BIOS in an attempt to fix issues with the WiFi connectivity that many of us have experienced. Rolling back to v1 BIOS is my latest attempt to resolve the issue of the computer turning off randomly.

This problem plagued me for more than a year, recently getting much worse and causing me to step up investigative efforts. As noted, it especially happens after sleeping. I even switched to Ubuntu Linux from Windows 10, and since the problem happens in both environments, I identified common configuration and software components and went to work removing or switching them.

+ Disabled Virtualization
+ Removed docker
+ BIOS - Switch AHCI to IDE compatible
+ BIOS - Switchable Graphics to UMA

+ BIOS - Disabled SafeBoot
+ Stopped eclipse from running
+ removed chrome
+ Cleaned inside of laptop and fans (it was pretty much pristine already)
+ removed battery from inside the chassis
+ Removed dropbox

None have had any effect.

Reverting the BIOS is my latest attempt and is set back to the shipping version 1.03 as of this writing. Good luck, all

NealBozeman
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,101
Message 22 of 23

More than a week since reverting the bios. Everything working great! Woooohoo!

Prime624
What's DOS?
Views: 738
Message 23 of 23

Warning for Linux users:

I downgraded my BIOS to 1.13 hoping that it would help. Not sure if it did or not, however it broke my installation somewhat.

The official Nvidia driver for my 960m card does not work with BIOS 1.13. I tired multiple versions of the driver, but all result in graphics failure. Switching to integrated graphics and using nouveau both were ok, but for gaming, the nvidia driver has much better performance and isn't compatible with this downgrade. When I reinstalled BIOS version 3, my problems went away.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors