cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
yuag
What's DOS?
Views: 825
Message 1 of 5

Y50 Hard Drive Failure (Second Time) - Warranty on replacement products?

History:

-Purchased Y50 in November 2014.

-Hard drive failed and was replaced under warrantly in Jan 2015.

-Dec 31 2015 Hard Drive has crashed again.

So my initial question is: I have yet to call for support, but am clearly out of original warranty period.  Does anyone have any experience on whether or not Lenovo may make an exception since this appears to be a repeat problem with this laptop?  (Or do they have a warranty on replacement parts?  In reading the warranty it sounds like the warranty on service/parts may only be as good as the original warranty - even if they replace it with used parts, etc).  

Follow up questions if that appears to be a dead end (will know more when I call later today):

-I may try my credit card company as they usually extend warranties and see where that gets me.

-I could also purchase the Samsung 850 EVO as a replacement - but would need to know where to start to get the OS on it (Originally came with Windows 8.1, later upgraded to Windows 10.)

Any experience people have had with the scenario is appreciated.

Mark

Guru
Views: 803
Message 2 of 5

Re: Y50 Hard Drive Failure (Second Time) - Warranty on replacement products?

Well Lenovo can work something out, just make sure to ask for a case manager to review your case. Since it's a repeated issue, they may give you an exception for a replacement laptop or repair the laptop. It's also a good idea to add extension warranty. Since your warranty already expired, you will have to contact support so they can give you your options. If you decide to get the Samsung 850 Evo, you'll need to clone your old hard drive to your new hard drive, or just install a fresh copy of Windows (which will delete any files you may have)

Regards,
Eric Xu

I'm a Lenovo forums advocate and brand advocate (Lenovo INsider). I'm a volunteer; I don't work for Lenovo.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Please read the Community Guidelines before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

Motorola   •IdeaPad   •ThinkPad   •Gaming   •ThinkCentre   •IdeaCentre   •Think Tablets   •Lenovo Tablets

Communities:    English English   Deutsche Deutsche    Español Español    Português Português    ru.gif Русскоязычное

tripplec
Bit Torrent
Views: 799
Message 3 of 5

Well its odd two in a row. What manufacturer of drive were they? I would check for overheating. Heat is a great killer of drives and components. Running a notebook on any soft surface is asking for trouble. They can't circulate air and cool their components. 

As for the OS if you did not' make a image backup to recover ask for recovery reinstallation DVD's. Much easier to get up and running that way. You've lost all your data though when the drive quits.

T520 Model 4239 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2860QMbr>; Nvidia NVS 4200M Win 10 64bit
Z70-80 I7 - 5500U 16GB GB - 1TB HD Win 10 64bit FHD 17.3", G840 w/2GB

yuag
What's DOS?
Views: 772
Message 4 of 5

Well fingers crossed, the initial contact said it's out of warranty period but because it's a repeat occurrence and 10 days after the warranty period she's going to run it through her case manager and see what they say, but I don't have a good feeling about that.

What concerns me is the tech rep had me go into the BIOS and it does recognize the HD, and it does boot up 1 out of 5 times.  So the rep thought the OS is corrupt.

However, the OS works fine those 1/5 times for about 5-10 min before it freezes.  I also hear a clicking sound on occasion which leads me to believe it's the HD.  But the tech ruled that out since the BIOS recognizes the HD.

On the bright side, there's no data on the laptop that I need so I'm good with whatever I end up doing next.

Guru
Views: 764
Message 5 of 5

Well lets see what the case manager can do.

Regards,
Eric Xu

I'm a Lenovo forums advocate and brand advocate (Lenovo INsider). I'm a volunteer; I don't work for Lenovo.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Please read the Community Guidelines before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

Motorola   •IdeaPad   •ThinkPad   •Gaming   •ThinkCentre   •IdeaCentre   •Think Tablets   •Lenovo Tablets

Communities:    English English   Deutsche Deutsche    Español Español    Português Português    ru.gif Русскоязычное

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors