Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GoatsEatToast
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,168
Message 1 of 3

Y50 Hard Drive Replacement

I'm not one for this tech talk, soo sorry if I don't know what I'm talking about..

Anyways, I need to replace my hard drive, but I don't know what would be suitable for the laptop I have.
I often play games and do schoolwork on my laptop, so idk if that will affect what to get. I read up a little on SSDs and HDDs and their differences, and I was leaning towards getting a SSD. Then again, I don't really know what I'm talking about.. I do want a bit of storage though, preferably 1 TB since I do download several games.

Sorry if this entire thing sounds confusing or vague, I'm just typing what comes to mind. Thanks for any help though.
hockeymikey
Paper Tape
Views: 1,124
Message 2 of 3

Re: Y50 Hard Drive Replacement

Just go for a regular HDD and get one with higher RPMs.

Mitchell1987
Paper Tape
Views: 1,114
Message 3 of 3

Re: Y50 Hard Drive Replacement

Get the ssd 100%. I would not go with a 7200 rpm drive over a 5400 rpm. Solid state drives are a really nice upgrade and you can search on google "ssd vs hdd" and you will see why. Just figure how much space you will need as solid state drives tend to cost more especially at the 1 terabyte range. I would recommend at least a 250 GB drive or 500 if you can afford it. Samsung is a good brand for those drives.

The performance you would get from going from 5400 rpm to a 7200 rpm is marginal compared to the ssd upgrade. Plus with an ssd there are no moving parts like Hdd. So expect better battery life, less noise, and less heat.

Cheers

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors