Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
iknorr
Blue Screen Again
Views: 23,009
Message 1 of 53

Y50 Yellow /Dark Yellow - Screen Calibration

Since Lenovo has said that the dark yellow problem on the Y50 is an issue but they wont offer a fix then im opening this thread to see if anyone can provide a partial solution to this problem. 

Some things im looking for

1- Screen calibration - Calibration walkthrough & recommended profiles - can someone provide a how to on how to do this?

2 - Dynamic contrast - Does anyone know how to turn it off or modify it?

3- Any other solution?

Guru
Views: 22,932
Message 2 of 53

Re: Y50 Yellow /Dark Yellow - Screen Calibration

1) Windows has a built in quick and dirty calibrator. Just search "Calibrate display color".

You might have better results with this tool:
http://www.hex2bit.com/products/product_mcw.asp

W520: 2960XM, Q2000M @ 1091/1380, 32GB RAM, 500GB&750GB HDD & 500GB SSD, FHD&MB168B+
X61T: L7500, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
W550s: 5600U, K620M at 1164/1281, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 3K touchscreen
X200s: SL9400, 6GB RAM, 64GB SD card, WXGA+ screen
TPT1: 1839-23U
good2go
Punch Card
Views: 22,851
Message 3 of 53

The tool doesn't work for me on a Y50 UHD because it opens in a box that's too small to fit the application's options. And you can't resize the box (at least I couldn't find a way). It's an old app not desiged for high-res screens.

Guru
Views: 22,833
Message 4 of 53

Maybe try dropping the resolution temporarily by exactly half, and then generating the profile.

W520: 2960XM, Q2000M @ 1091/1380, 32GB RAM, 500GB&750GB HDD & 500GB SSD, FHD&MB168B+
X61T: L7500, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
W550s: 5600U, K620M at 1164/1281, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 3K touchscreen
X200s: SL9400, 6GB RAM, 64GB SD card, WXGA+ screen
TPT1: 1839-23U
DrDyna
Paper Tape
Views: 22,692
Message 5 of 53

I'd like to add that I have this problem as well, on a new unit that I purchased a few days ago. I like every other part of it, but the screen backlight is way too dim, and the yellows are pretty terrible.

I'm hoping that a fix comes around, even if it means Lenovo mails out new screens.

Edit: What's DOS? Really? I'm not sure that denigrating customers using forum ranks is the right thing to do, especially when it's done using computer related terms.

voodoodrul
Paper Tape
Views: 22,544
Message 6 of 53

I have this problem, too. After tweaking to no end, I'm no closer to a solution. But I do know this: the screen is totally capable of rendering yellow and the only thing stopping it is firmware. The problem is rooted in the dynamic contrast nonsense that the panel / firmware does. 

To test this, start with a screen that has no yellow on it. The following test will compare a screen with a little yellow vs a screen with a lot of yellow. When the screen has a lot of yellow, the yellows correct themselves. 

Try this: 

1) Place the Google Chrome icon on your desktop, with all it's mustard yellowness...

2) Use a dark blue background

3) Open MS Paint and fill the canvas with solid yellow

4) Focus on the Google Chrome icon

5) Notice that the Chrome icon is now proper yellow

6) Drag the MS Paint window around and notice it doesn't matter *where* the majority of the yellow is, the Chrome icon always looks correct

7) Drag the MS Paint window off the screen and watch the Chrome icon slowly fade to mustard. 

So clearly this is a firmware-related issue and can be fixed. The panel is fundamentally capable of rendering proper yellows.

good2go
Punch Card
Views: 22,529
Message 7 of 53

voodoodrul is correct...the screen automatically adjusts based on the colors on the screen. It's called Dynamic Backlight Control technology, which is built into the display. The Lenovo HD displays are low-quality, white-backlit screens (which is why they're relatively affordable) so the compensation is part of the design. 

There's an excellent thread at notebook review on adjusting the screen calibration with an ICC profile paired with some other adjustments. It works pretty well and makes things better. Note it will not make the screen colors perfect, but much better.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/y50-uhd-screen-calibration-thread.758153/

Sadly, these screens and the Y50-70s do not live up to the hype (and, surprisingly, the good reviews) and I'm very, very sorry I got one. Well, two actually. One of the screens is better than the other, but we're probably going to dump both units in a year and get something else, probably Apples. It depends on how Windows 10 works.

Meteo02
Paper Tape
Views: 22,463
Message 8 of 53

I have this issue too!! It's really annoying. I bought a week ago this laptop with the UHD screen because I want the best image quality, and now I'm facing this serious color problem. It's the first time I buy Lenovo product and I'm really disappointed. If any official answer/solution about this (old) problem is going to be announced, I will never trust Lenovo products any more.
ad12205
Paper Tape
Views: 22,314
Message 9 of 53

Has anyone actually tried fixing this issue by calibrating with a physical professional calibration device like a Spyder4Pro, ColorMunki, etc?
voodoodrul
Paper Tape
Views: 22,310
Message 10 of 53

First, keep in mind this is not just a lenovo problem. Almost all UHD screens, from various vendors, do this. Second, color calibration is not the right solution. The stock calibration is very good in my case on a bright, vibrant screen. Any attempt to calibrate will, at best, serve to skew color balance just enough to trick the dynamic brightness to think it's actually brighter and more colorful than it is. I don't know of hardware calibrators that take these dynamics into account - total screen brightness, overall and local color levels across the surface, etc. What you'll end up with is a screen that is calibrated at a certain brightness and screen composition, but changes itself as the screen contents change. The whole dynamic contrast thing needs to be removed.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors