Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bilrei
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,734
Message 41 of 53

Re: Y50 Yellow /Dark Yellow - Screen Calibration

Question, if hardware/software problem, why is the color perfect when I run the Y50 thorugh my NEC monitor? Not a computer expert so maybe it has to do with drivers for the UHD 4K display on the laptop?

Nicotrico
Paper Tape
Views: 1,726
Message 42 of 53

exactly my point - the hardware itself seems to be working fine - the only thing which seems to missing is a software solution from Lenovo and Intel in order to make the 4K screen work together with the intel graphics card ... at least that's why I think... and what pisses me off, is that two such large companies had over 1 year time to program a correct driver, but don't give a fukc about users like us because others just keep buying their stuff... 

bilrei
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,717
Message 43 of 53

Wonder what happens if you put the standard display on the unit in place of the 4K UHD? You are right, until sales drop off drastically, nothing going to happen.

RomulusDaniel
SCSI Port
Views: 1,713
Message 44 of 53

@bilrei wrote:

Wonder what happens if you put the standard display on the unit in place of the 4K UHD? You are right, until sales drop off drastically, nothing going to happen.

My bet is that it will display correct.

real_touch
What's DOS?
Views: 1,478
Message 45 of 53

I reported the yellow problem to my retail seller. they sent it back to the authorized service, i also attached print screens of this code: Service TIP IN20141024-002/ HT101356, that Amy mentioned. I got a rejection from the service, they said it couldn't be repaired ( I live in the European Union).

Made the next logical step, paid the difference and bought an Apple retina. Sorry Lenovo.

bilrei
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,469
Message 46 of 53

That is terrible news. I am going to get with on of the local authorized repair centers to see about replacing the crappy OEM display with new display with better color quality. I would even downgrade from UHD 4K to standard HD display. Keep getting run around with any Lenovo support people I deal with. Not really impressed with their customer service. starting to regret getting this machine. Should have known, you get what you pay for. Should have paid extra for the HP machine.

AndyHOvine
Paper Tape
Views: 1,450
Message 47 of 53

I would not recommend going down to the standard HD screen - I bought this model laptop initially and returned it for the UHD 4K model because of the problems it has.  This of course before I knew about the yellowing.

The standard HD screen is so dull and colours so poor I would say it is worse than the yellowing issue.  You have to be at exactly the right angle to get a clear picture, it darkens and inverts very quickly as you move your head above/below and to the side of the screen.

You do not expect such a poor quality component in a laptop at this price range, I don't feel I can trust buying a Lenovo product ever again. 

For the short term, I have bought a monitor as I mostly use it at home and just live with the laptop screen when I'm on the move.

bilrei
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,436
Message 48 of 53

You are right, would expect better display quality. Thanks for info on HD. When working at home where do most of my photo and video editing, run machine on NEC PA series monitor. Color great on this monitor and the computer performs well above my expectiations (accept for the crappy display). Down the road if I have to do more editing on this machine remotely, will spend money upgrade to newer display. Even if I have to do that, cheaper than any other machine I found at the time with the computing performance of this machine.

As for dealing with Lenovo in the future, pretty doubtful. I knew it was bad when I filled out customer survey and gave good marks except for the display which I rated them very low along with bad comments. Never heard one word from anyone after submitting that survey. Either no one really read it or just did not care about customer satisfaction.

bilrei
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,234
Message 49 of 53

Well, I have finally given up on the poor quality display on the Y50. Love the machine, but the display sucks. I just got off the phone with "tech support". First he told me he thought there was setting that could be changed in order to turn off 4K to display. After a few minutes came back and said there were no changes. I asked if there was anything they could do to install new display that would fix the problem, especially since I have 3 yr in home service contract. He said all they would do is come in and replace current display with same display model. Advised him this would not fix the problem. He said the only thing I could do is have the display replaced with alternative display at my cost. I asked why Lenovo would not cover cost of this change and that I had to pay for a fix that may fix a problem with their computer. I pressed him, but he would never admit that Lenovo has no fix for this problem nor to they plan to offer a fix. I will be visiting local Lenovo authorized repair center to see if they have a fix. Even it it means me paying to have them install a new and better display.

JmacSmith
Fanfold Paper
Views: 563
Message 50 of 53

I talked to three different tech support people at Lenovo—each more unhelpful than the last.

None of them knew about the problem. None of them had any clue what Service TIP IN20141024-002/ HT101356 was. None of them knew what to do. The best advice any of them had was to reinstall Windows.

The third guy I got was infuriating. He impugned my intelligence, suggesting that I'm just some ignorant imbecile who read something online. He said "You can't believe everything you read on the internet."

I said that it was on the Lenovo forum (I had already told him that, of course).

He said "Anyone can post on that forum."

"She works for your company. Sure anyone can post on that forum, but not anyone can get a tech support status in their profile."

Nothing I said convinced him that Amy_Lenovo actually work for Lenovo and that she was acting in her official capacity. He maintained that I found something that someone online wrote and that I was stupidly regarding it as gospel.

He also suggested that I was just being overly picky about the qualify of the colors. He said this is the first time he's ever heard anyone complain about the display of a Y50.

I hung up more frustrated than ever.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors