Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KOD
Punch Card
Views: 2,738
Message 1 of 5

Y50 audio crackling/popping

Hello, I've been searching the internet for a few weeks for a solution to this but it's driving me nuts. I've started getting random audio cracking and popping noises in music and videos on certain frequencies and I really don't know exactly when it started (it's been around a month).

It's not a hardware issue since I booted Ubuntu and audio sounds perfectly crisp with no crackling so it must be a Windows or driver issue. I re-installed Windows 8.1 but the issue still persisted even after installing the drivers one by one. I disabled/updated the network adapters, graphic cards, installed new realtek audio drivers/reverted back to the old realtek audio drivers, etc. but none of it has worked. Issue persists with any headphone/earphone I tried.

cabbton
Punch Card
Views: 2,728
Message 2 of 5

Re: Y50 audio crackling/popping

Try Microsoft's generic driver rather than Realtek's, by manually selecting it in update driver through device manager. Otherwise it could be a 3.5mm hardware socket problem, but as you say under a different OS you have no problem, so unlikey. Failing all that, check for any RF interference (mobile devices, radio etc.) near where you are using your laptop.

KOD
Punch Card
Views: 2,716
Message 3 of 5

I tried the generic driver, doesn't solve the problem. Can't be a socket problem since there's no problem in Ubuntu/Linux. Turned off all mobile devices nearby, doesn't work. I read through a few older threads of older laptops with audio issues being solved by turning down PC Beep volume by using older Realtek drivers but I'm not sure which ones to try. (Turning down the PC Beep volume is disabled in newer drivers, enabled by default and hidden from user configuration)

KOD
Punch Card
Views: 2,702
Message 4 of 5

I "fixed" this problem, for reference to anyone who might have this issue in the future: Install older Realtek R2.71 drivers. I don't know how uninstalling the drivers as a whole and using the generic Microsoft audio drivers still had crackling issues but using an old Realtek audio driver fixes the problem. Makes no sense.

matrixxzero
Token Ring
Views: 2,692
Message 5 of 5

@KOD wrote:

I "fixed" this problem, for reference to anyone who might have this issue in the future: Install older Realtek R2.71 drivers. I don't know how uninstalling the drivers as a whole and using the generic Microsoft audio drivers still had crackling issues but using an old Realtek audio driver fixes the problem. Makes no sense.

I was going to suggest a driver issue. On an older machine of mine, a Toshiba, I had a lot of static and other issues and it was an outdated video driver. Once I updated that, the problem went away.

Weird that you had to roll-back to an older driver. I wonder if Realtek is aware of the issue?

I know I went to play a video last night that was staticy and at first I thought, bad download. It was even out of sync. I closed the file, restarted it, and problem went away. I'm still not certain what was up with that except maybe WindowsH8 (Hate). I am so looking forward to Win 10 and hope it isn't as clumsy and buggy.

Glad you solved your issue! I shall keep this in mind and check my driver. Smiley Happy

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors