Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
UnderPL
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,353
Message 1 of 12

Y50, brightness dimming down when unplugging charger

I have an issue with my lenovo y50 (windows 8.1). There a really frickin annoying thing, I want my brightness to be 100% at all time but the stupid brightness dim down (or backlight?) a little when I unplug my charger. because of that Im always always always plugging my charger and in the same time killing my battery. Thank you really much to the not-smart guy who thought it was a good idea to automatically adjust brightness.

I've tried many things but I got no results:
-Making sure I was in the high performance profile and changed some settings
    disabled adaptive brightness
    made sure display brightness is at 100% when plugged and     on battery (same thing for dimmed diplay brightness)
-Disabling intel power saving technology
-Checked in the ugly metro w8 setting (pc and devices -> power and sleep > Brightness) for any auto brightness feature, but I have none. (https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Edge-Yoga-LaVie-Z-Flex/Yoga-2-Pro-Auto-brightness-feature-and-ho...

-installed lenovo energy management software to see if it can change some setting related to that but no there nothing

Im really starting to hate this laptop, there so many weird problems(slow hdd, low performance when lid is closed, low graphic card performance when unplugged and this)
Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

UnderPL
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,300
Message 2 of 12

Re: Y50, brightness dimming down when unplugging charger

bump
UnderPL
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,272
Message 3 of 12

bump
Triplec
Punch Card
Views: 5,267
Message 4 of 12

Look at the advanced settings in the Power Profile for On Battery settings. On battery is aways different to save power. HD timeout, brightness lower, CPU speed, etc.

z70-80
I7 - 5500U 16GB GB - 1TB HD Window 8.1 64bit
FHD 17.3 inch Display, Nvidia G840 w/2GB memory
UnderPL
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,242
Message 5 of 12

next time read the post completely, I already did thess steps....

bump

UnderPL
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,193
Message 6 of 12

bump

stevepa
Token Ring
Views: 5,182
Message 7 of 12

You said you changed the adaptive brightness, not adjust the actual brightness level for on battery/plugged in.

Right-click on the desktop, select Personalize, then go to Screen Saver.  Below that requester, go into the "Change Power Settings" options... then whatever profile you are using, click on "Change Plan Settings" and you'll see "On Battery" and "Plugged In" sliders for "Adjust Plan Brightness"

You'll want to do this for any plan you may use as the brightness settings are saved for each power profile/plan.

This is a Windows thing and has nothing to do with Lenovo or your laptop.

UnderPL
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,165
Message 8 of 12

this may be a windows thing but this thing is not my problem. considering all the things I've tried to do to the fix the problem that I've mentioned in the first post, I thought it was obvious that brightness is set to the max for the battery plan I'm using....

kageglantz
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 4,760
Message 9 of 12

I am responding even though I see you never got a proper answer.  Did you ever get a fix for your problem?

I have the same problem, with a brandnew Lenovo Ideapad 310-15abr laptop (Windows 10, 64 bit, AMD with a Radeon 7 graphics card). Just like you, when I unplug the power (so it's on battery), the screen dims. No prob, I thought, seen that before. So I went to Power Options and changed the power plan both on and off battery so the screen is at 100 percent brightness. Didn't work. I read up on the problem on the Net and found out about Adaptive brightness, and turned that off too. No go. Next I tried disabling the Sensor Monitoring service. I think I've tried a few other things. Oh right, I tried updating the Graphic Card driver and I tried disabling and then enabling the Graphic Card again. When I did that, by the way, the screen flashed for a second and it was nice and bright, and then it went back to its usual dim self. Oh, yeah, I saw that Lenovo has its own bunch of settings, including some Power Options called Power Stretch and Conservation mode, which I turned off.

The one thing that I have NOT tried that I know about it is changing the registry value by using Regedit command and changing the Feature Test Control. I didn't try it for two reasons. One is that I'm not sure what to reset it to (I've seen "ffff" as the setting and something else longer and more complicated). The other reason is that I couldn't quite figure out where to click on once I typed in the Regedit run command. (I click on Computer, for example, and get a menu box that the video I looked at did not say I would get, so I was lost.)

I've tried both the High Performance setting and making my own Custom Plan.

Would love to hear any answer, especially one that doesn't suggest changing the Power and Sleep Options, which I've tried.  Thanks in advance -- Ken

UnderPL
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,618
Message 10 of 12

Nope, after countless of registry manipulations and and fiddling in "Intel graphics settings", I fixed many problems such as the brightness going down when the content you're looking at is dark etc. but for the unplugging thing... nah..... the brightness still go down....

UNLESS

you turn off your Intel HD graphics.... (WIN+R, type devmgmt.msc, under display adapters) but the downside is that you won't be able to change brightness

Top Kudoed Authors