Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
frostocalypse
What's DOS?
Views: 340
Message 1 of 2

Y500 - AC Power not enough when play games? Shuts off/switches to battery

Hello. I noticed when playing BF4 on my Y500, SLI 750M, that I was getting some massive FPS drops. At first I thought this was caused by the game. Actually I started noticing when this happens, the laptop stops using AC power and switches to battery power, usually it will last 5-10 seconds, then go back to AC power.

Now it has gotten to where it will basically just not switch back over to AC power. For testing, I tried playing without the battery plugged in - The laptop will just shut off.

Was thinking of taking it to a service center. I thought this might be related to the "Plugged in, not charging" issue, as thats what I would see when I was on AC power, and it switched to battery (it would consume battery when it was in the state plugged in, not charging, so I assume it is just running on battery completely.)

Are these issues related? I don't think I have an issue charging my battery.

Windows 8.1, never ran battery gauge tool, don't have the crap lenovo energy management software installed. Problem has only been the past few days.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 305
Message 2 of 2

Re: Y500 - AC Power not enough when play games? Shuts off/switches to battery

hi frostocalypse,

Welcome to the Forums.

Just to verify, is the AC adapter heating-up? Also, some AC adapters have a light when it's plugged in, does yours have one and does it turn off when the issue happens? You may also wanna check the heat build-up in the machine by using HWMonitor to check the temps.

If the AC adapter heats up or turns off when the issue happens, you may want to request for a new one to rule this as a possible cause of the issue, otherwise, do report the issue by contacting lenovo support.

Here's the support hotline in the U.S.:

Telephone number: 1-877-453-6686

Hours of operation: 24 hours a day / 7 days a week

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors