cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thn10606
Punch Card
Views: 2,393
Message 1 of 7

Y500 - BSOD. bad_system_config_info error. Can't start my laptop anymore.

So after a few days of constant freezing and crashing and having no idea how to fix it, I finally got the blue screen. The error is called bad_system_config_info. After looking online to figure out how to fix it, I foolishly tried the solution found on this page:

http://www.tenforums.com/bsod-crashes-debugging/25165-bad-system-config-info.html

and the description the op gives after following some instruction follows exactly my issues all the way up to post #12. Now my computer is stuck at the part that op describes at post 12, and I have no idea what to do anymore.

I ran virus scans several times before the blue screen and none were found. I tried system restore while it was only freezing and crashing and it failed. I'm pretty sure it was completely updated as well as automatic updates were turned on.

I really don't want to lose any of the information I have on my PC. Hopefully an official forum will have the correct advice. Does any know what I can do?

Thanks.

thn10606
Punch Card
Views: 2,382
Message 2 of 7

Re: Y500 - BSOD. bad_system_config_info error. Can't start my laptop anymore.

I have discovered the Novo one key recover feature. Unfortunately using that key will delete all of my data, so I have to hold off on that function for now.

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,370
Message 3 of 7

You might try finding a friend with a computer running Windows 10 (must be same 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows as yours...most likely 64-bit), and creating a USB Recovery drive (you need an 8GB USB memory stick).    Using that you can boot to the USB stick and try to restore to a previous System Restore Point, or reset your PC, which will remove apps, but leave your data files intact.   

The process is a bit complicated, so I would recomment you take it to a shop unless you are very computer savy.

Alternately, a good shop can boot your system and backup all your data, or the whole HD just to be safe, and then reset your PC.

Good luck

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,367
Message 4 of 7
thn10606
Punch Card
Views: 2,355
Message 5 of 7

I only have a 128 gb stick. Do you have a guide on removing the partition from the stick after I'm done with recovering using the stick?

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,351
Message 6 of 7

Creating the USB recovery drive will erase everything on the USB drive, so backup any data you have on the stick first.   Once you are done, you can simply right click on the USB drive and choose format, and it will erase everything and you can copy your files back.    

The link below is for Windows 8, but the process is the same in Windows 10

Formatting a memory card, flash drive or device using a Windows 8 System

http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12766/~/formatting-a-memory-card,-flash-drive-or-devic...

thn10606
Punch Card
Views: 2,340
Message 7 of 7

Thanks for the guide JDGillis! I was able to log on again and still have all of my stuff! I still don't understand what I did though since after telling it to boot from the USB drive to get to that screen in the guide with all the recovery options in it, I didn't actually tell it to recover. After selecting a few options and cancelling for fear of the option deleting my stuff, it just restarted on it's own and after I turned it back on, I could log in. Whatever, I'll take it. Smiley Very Happy

It does seem to perform a bit slower than it used to though, but I'll see how it goes over the next few days. Not sure if the freezing and crashing issue I've been having is fixed though, since it seemed to do that whenever it wanted these past few days, and there weren't any conditions I could repeat to ensure a crash. But I'll see if that happens again over the next few days as well. Maybe then if it happens I can create another topic here. This place seems to have people who know what they're talking about.

Thanks again!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors