Canada

4 Signins

44 Page Views

• Views: 44
  • Message 1 of 3

Y500 - Bluetooth radio turned off after waking from sleep

2016-12-23, 10:37 AM

I have a Lenovo Y500.

Basically, my problem is this; when I boot up the computer the bluetooth radio is working as expected. My Microsoft Sculpt Touch Bluetooth Mouse functions perfectly at the login screen and continues to work during normal usage until the computer goes to sleep or hibernate mode. That is where the trouble starts. After the computer wakes from sleep the mouse is not working. Some troubleshooting reviles that the bluetooth icon is missing from the system tray after waking from sleep. Searching the start menu for bluetooth does not find any settings for managing bluetooth. The Action Center is missing the bluetooth toggle button. In the Devices area in PC Settings "Bluetooth" is missing. When I open Device Manager the Bluetooth device is not listed. If I go to View --> Show hidden devices in Device Manager then the Bluetooth devices show up but are greyed out.

The only way I can find to enable the Bluetooth radios is to reboot the computer. Currently I am running Windows 10 Home 64-bit on this computer.

I had the same problem on the same computer when it was running Windows 7 pro 64-bit. The difference was that after waking from sleep, although the bluetooth radio was turned off, I could press fn+F5 to open the lenovo power manager which allowed me to control the power state of bluetooth and wifi. On Windows 10 pressing fn+F5 does nothing (not even enable airplane mode which, based on the icon on the key, should be it's function).

It is ridiculous that I have to reboot my computer every time I need to turn on my bluetooth radio.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Options

919 Posts

07-05-2016

GB

1521 Signins

5917 Page Views

• Views: 5917
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: Y500 - Bluetooth radio turned off after waking from sleep

2016-12-28, 15:55 PM

wrote:

I have a Lenovo Y500.

Basically, my problem is this; when I boot up the computer the bluetooth radio is working as expected. My Microsoft Sculpt Touch Bluetooth Mouse functions perfectly at the login screen and continues to work during normal usage until the computer goes to sleep or hibernate mode. That is where the trouble starts. After the computer wakes from sleep the mouse is not working. Some troubleshooting reviles that the bluetooth icon is missing from the system tray after waking from sleep. Searching the start menu for bluetooth does not find any settings for managing bluetooth. The Action Center is missing the bluetooth toggle button. In the Devices area in PC Settings "Bluetooth" is missing. When I open Device Manager the Bluetooth device is not listed. If I go to View --> Show hidden devices in Device Manager then the Bluetooth devices show up but are greyed out.

The only way I can find to enable the Bluetooth radios is to reboot the computer. Currently I am running Windows 10 Home 64-bit on this computer.

I had the same problem on the same computer when it was running Windows 7 pro 64-bit. The difference was that after waking from sleep, although the bluetooth radio was turned off, I could press fn+F5 to open the lenovo power manager which allowed me to control the power state of bluetooth and wifi. On Windows 10 pressing fn+F5 does nothing (not even enable airplane mode which, based on the icon on the key, should be it's function).

It is ridiculous that I have to reboot my computer every time I need to turn on my bluetooth radio.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Hi Darthpenguin,

Have you tried to install the ACPI from the Lenovo website? this should help the issue you are having.

Hope this help you and let us know how you get on

=====================================================================================
Did someone help you today? Thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

5 Posts

05-14-2014

Canada

4 Signins

44 Page Views

• Views: 44
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: Y500 - Bluetooth radio turned off after waking from sleep

2016-12-29, 18:41 PM

When I try to install the ACPI driver the executable will extract the files to C:\drivers\Energy Management Driver but the installer will not launch.

I should be able to control the power state of both WiFi and Bluetooth by pressing fn+F5 (airplane mode) However, using Windows 10 Home (UEFI) pressing fn+F5 is unresponsive. Other function keys work such as fn+F9 for settings, fn+F6 to toggle trackpad, fn+<arrow_key> for volume and screen brightness, etc. It is just the airplane key that does not work. I can toggle airplane mode from the Windows Action Center but that will not power up Bluetooth after the computer has been asleep.

What I ended up doing was this:

- Configure BIOS for legacy boot

- Install Windows 7 pro from USB (full format of the HDD)
          Note: Although I have a valid Windows 7 license Windows 7 failed to activate. Half of the drivers failed to work including the power management driver so I could not get the computer to go into sleep mode. Also, I could not download or install *any* windows updates. So I could not continue to use Windows 7 but I only needed it for a short time.

- Once I got the right driver installed (I think it was the hotkey integration and maybe the power management driver) I was able to bring up the Lenovo Wireless Device Settings manager by pressing fn+F5. This showed me the Bluetooth radio and the Wireless Network Card and listed their current status (off/on) and provided a status setting (toggle off/on).

- I made sure both the Wireless Network Card and the Bluetooth radio were turned on and I shut down the computer (I could not test how Bluetooth woulkd behave when the computer wakes from sleep in Windows 7 because the **bleep** thing would not sleep for some reason. However, Bluetooth was fine when the computer recovered from a hibernated state in testing so that was a good sign)

- I returned to the BIOS and set it back to default settings (UEFI boot, no legacy support)

- I installed Windows 10 fresh from a USB bootable installer. I connected to the internet and let it download all the latest updates.

- Bluetooth is now working and continues to function after the computer wakes from sleep.

I had done a fresh Windows install and set the BIOS to default settings earlier in my troubleshooting with negative results. I think what finally fixed it was toggling the Bluetooth radio power settings using the Lenovo Wireless Device Settings manager which I could only get to work in Windows 7. But after toggling the power state of the radio in Windows 7 the fix was persistent even after installing Windows 10.

It seems to me that all of this could have been avoided if there was just a physical toggle switch to manage the power state of the wireless radios (just like the ThinkPad line has)

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete