Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Majestix
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,262
Message 1 of 12

Y500 Display Lines and Distortion

Hello,

My Y500 (one of the older models) has some weird display issues for some time now. When I try to adjust the screen angle, some horizontal green lines appear randomly on my screen. Some other parts also have vertical magenta lines. Then I have to try several angles until I find a position where the display doesn't show any problems. This happens almost every time when I open the display and turn it on. Sometimes it is less of a problem and sometimes more. If I don't move the laptop or the screen the problem does not show up. My drivers should all be up to date and I have Windows 8.1.

Thank you so much for your help!

(I can also make pictures if needed)

oledcrt
Token Ring
Views: 3,252
Message 2 of 12

Re: Y500 Display Lines and Distortion

It sounds like there's something wrong with the cable connecting the display to the motherboard.  You might want to have a look at the service manual to see how you disassemble it, and then take it apart and make sure the cable isn't being pinched by anything.  If it looks permanently damaged, try turning the laptop on with the screen detached from the case, and wiggling the wire to make sure it doesn't cause those lines again.  If it is permanently damaged, the wire is probably permanently attached to the display, so you might need to get a new one.  Hopefully it's under warranty.

Majestix
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,236
Message 3 of 12

Thank you for your response.

I looked at the screen and the wires and found that the cable to the screen was not in place (came out of the "plastic holder"). I put that into place but could not find much else.

I saw that the gold sticker at the back of the panel was not fully covered by the sticker of the cable (2-3 mm of the gold sticker is visible). Is that normal? Sorry that I forgot to take pictures :x

After I put it back together it definetly works better than before. The only thing I notice know is very little distortion when I move the display, but that fully goes away when I don't move it.

oledcrt
Token Ring
Views: 3,221
Message 4 of 12

I suppose maybe that thing you were talking about with the stickers could be causing the distortion, but I really don't know, since I can't really visualize what you're talking about.  I actually have a Y580, but I haven't taken it very far apart.  I'm just going by what I've seen on other laptops I've worked on.  But these stickers... are they supposed to make some sort of electrical connection?  It doesn't seem like that would be very reliable, but if they weren't doing anything like that, I don't see how they could be that important.  Maybe you could try to explain it a little better, please. Smiley Wink

Majestix
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,210
Message 5 of 12

I looked again at the back of the display but did not remove the sticker. It stuck pretty well so I decided against it^^

Here is a picture:

Link to picture

Moderator note; picture(s) converted to link(s) About Posting Pictures In The Forums

oledcrt
Token Ring
Views: 3,188
Message 6 of 12

From the looks of it, you can probably go ahead and peel that off to look under it if the distortion is that troublesome, as long as you are careful not to mess up the cable while you are doing so.

JakeSully
Broadband 3G
Views: 3,176
Message 7 of 12

if your talking about gold part at top then no thats only metalic holder it's painted in gold which it is most of the times and is not peal able Smiley Wink if thats what you mean? If you peal that off it will no longer hold your end connector in-place anymore xD since that is holder for connector end to be in place.

oledcrt
Token Ring
Views: 3,170
Message 8 of 12

Oh...

Well anyway, maybe you could try taking the connector out and blowing inside the plug with compressed air or something, and then plug it back in again and see if it makes a difference.

Majestix
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,142
Message 9 of 12

I did not remove the cable because I don't think it's worth the risk (I don't know much about it ...).

The problem is almost gone just by opening the bezel and rearranging the cable so I can live with it.

Thanks for the help!

99Chacho
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,651
Message 10 of 12

Here's some advice from someone who fixed this issue recently. 

• Replacing the LVDS cable took 5 hours (disassembling and assembling this computer is not fun!)
  •  Baustin McManus' Y510p video clarified some steps that the official Y500 disassembly video did not make obvious. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xMIjXVzF18
  • The screen artifacting problem will recur if the connection between the LCD and the cable is stressed.  If you route the cable from the motherboard through the case incorrectly, there won't be enough slack in the cable by the time it reaches the LCD screen.
  • I got my cable (part no. DC02001ME0J) from nbcable on eBay. It took 2 weeks to get from China to the US and cost $15, which seemed reasonable. The screen works like new again.

Disclaimer: For anyone thinking about attempting this repair, please keep in mind that you cannot remove the LVDS cable from your Y500 without removing the motherboard, palmrest, keyboard, hard drive, etc.  Think twice about doing this repair yourself if you have not successfully fixed computer hardware before.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors